F*&%$£g Landrovers

Apparently the MOT man does not like the fact that my passenger side seatbelt wont release if you pull on the catch ie 'like you were hanging upside down' as i was told. Is this part of the test, never heard of it before.

Dom

Reply to
Dom J

Dom J uttered summat worrerz funny about:

As a definative test you should be allowed to string the MOT man up by it... if he / she (equal ops!) goes blue then they have a point, if they release themselves prior to blue / greyness setting in then no issue IMHO. Otherwise WTF are they on.

Someone will be along in a mo with a link to that really handy MOT FAQ site.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Dom, Seat belt catch must release both under load and no load - a basic requirement within the test. Nothing new, been such for years. I have been known to err on the side of "pass and advise" when faced with anything that may be considered borderline, as that is how VOSA wishes us to play it. However, there is NO (in my personal opinion) "grey area" when it comes to safety equipment such as brakes, tyres, steering, structural mountings, seat belts etc - the whole purpose of the test is to ensure YOUR safety in the event of the unthinkable happening. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

IIRC a seatbelt catch should release under full load ... which probably does mean as if you're hanging upside down. Mined ewe, ICBW ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx (mobile)

Cheers Badger totallly agree with you, the test is for my safety but i didn't know the catch was tested!.

Just picked the car up after looking at the things that it failed on with a mechanic mate of mine. One of which was a missing clip on the rear N/S brake pipe where it goes over the axle..............grumble moan, mutter. Also some deabte as to where a corroded brake pipe is. Had a look with my mate and couldn't see anything wrong. I'm gonna pop in and ask the tester tomorrow

As for the seat belt. It works 4 times out of 5. I don't really want to have to replace the whole thing as it's got SRS and i'm guessing it will be expensive. Any hints here gladly received.

And to top it off the offside wheel bearing is rumbling...very quietly if you listen really hard. Looks like it's new hub time. Is it possible to change just the bearing or do you really have to buy a complete hub. I have access to all manner of large presses etc to get stuck things out!.

Dom

Reply to
Dom J

If the tester is in a pedantic mood, he can fail a brake pipe for being ty-wrapped in place, it should, according to VOSA, be in the correct plastic clips!

Good idea.

Never tried to dismantle one, due to the pyros!

My DII has a mild grumble, only just audible with the windows down at 40ish mph, from the offside-rear. I've put off doing it as I've yet to find a bearing supplier and the complete hub is £££££££ ! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Crumbs!

Front to rear brake pipe on my old(er) RRC has been tie wrapped in place for the last 6 years or so with a bit of rubber pipe buffering it from whatever sharp thing I strapped it to.

Corroded and leaking steel fuel pipes - the inaccessible ones running on top of the chassis - have been replaced by rubber double wall fuel hoses similarly strapped to the chassis with cable ties for about the same length of time. ISTR being complimented on the solution!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

So far the cheapest hub i've found so is £200!!!!!!!. I'll have a proper look tomorrow. Cheers for the tip about the brake pipe clip as well, i'll get some clips from Halfrauds in the morning. When i so swap hubs i plan to have a go with the old one and see if it is possible to remove just the bearing. Apparently i've been told you cant 'do it like that sir, they are not made to be removed' Work told me this about a bearing on an escalator. Took me 12 hours but i got the bloody thing out!!. Is the part number TAY100060 right anyone know??.

Dom

Reply to
Dom J

Part no is correct for front, TAY100050 for rear.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Have you not got a local BSL aka Brammer they used to be very genned up

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Collected mine after the MOT and various work on the steering and suspension only to discover the stop lamp was not working, the switch was disconected, and this is not really the sort of thing that disconects itself, kinda wonder what goes on in MOT's sometimes

Reply to
Larry

Its called work generation!

Reply to
GbH

On or around Wed, 5 Sep 2007 18:54:04 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

I take it they've spoilt the beauty of having the same hub bearings on everything, then?

AFAIK, all disco I, RR classic and 90/110 use the same bearings.

Reply to
Austin Shackles