Re: Re: MOT Items time (was F*****g Landrovers)

If any MOT tester even attempts to test one of my 4x4's on a rolling road I stop him and remove the vehicle from the test station. And I don't come back.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I've been working on landrovers for nearly 20-odd years, MOT'ing them for about 2 years now, and there is absolutely no major issues with using a roller brake tester on ALL models - except those with viscous t/fer box/coupling and/or traction control. I'm not saying it's the way I believe they ought to be done, but that's the way VOSA say it's to be done. If a tester passes your vehicle in any way other than by a decelerometer or roller brake test, he/she is leaving themselves wide open to disciplinary action by VOSA. Would you rather the "handbrake" was pulled on at 20mph during a decel test on the road, or 3mph on the rollers? I know what I'd prefer! My personal belief is that the test should be ammended to allow a static test in which you try to drive off with the park brake applied, but it'll never be ammended as VOSA see no requirement to change things - due to the fact that there are no reported issues, BECAUSE testers don't do what they're supposed to!!! I've only ever had one issue, on a series 3, and that was a torn gearbox mount rubber. If all is ok, it'll pass with no issues or harm done. Badger. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Tell that to the tester who put my Series IIa onto the rollers, tested the front, moved it forward, proceeded to test the rear and demolished his tool chest as the landrover jumped forwards.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Why would it jump forwards unless he'd left the handbrake on or it in gear? Aren't the IIas rear-wheel-drive unless you throw the right levers?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I'll leave you lot to puzzle this one out.

Series IIa, Standard selectable 2wd/4wd gearbox, no faults.

Vehicle is left in 4wd (yellow lever down). Front wheels test fine, when the rears are tested the vehicle drags itself off the rollers.

First one to give the right answer gets a pint if I ever meet you.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Maybe 'cos it was left in 4wd, yellow lever down? hahaha. Stands to reason it'd jump off really! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

In which case, it would jump off when the front wheels were tested as well. 4wd is a direct coupling on a Series x/fer box.

No pint for you........

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Some kind of auto-locking free-wheeling hubs?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Sure will be - standard symptom of an auto FWH.

Reply to
EMB

He must've put it in 4wd in between, in any case serves him right! Should have more respect for the green oval!

Reply to
GbH

FWHs?

Reply to
GbH

On or around Wed, 12 Sep 2007 19:30:42 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

I bet the landy was OK though...

Reply to
Austin Shackles