compressor purchase

My lovely other half has decided that it's my birthday, and she's run out of Land Rover stuff to buy me, she's going to get me a compressor for my soon to be finished workshop.

One she's seen in Machine Mart (what a girl!) are about =A3120. So thats my budget. Any recommendation?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

What do you want to use it for? A sensible spec. for continual impact wrench use would be very different from that needed for a little light airbrush use.

Reply to
Dougal

get atleast 2.5-3hp and as big a tank as you can afford. I struggle to spray big panels with a 30L tank - you can just do it if you are careful and can polish the edge in afterwards but more capacity would be great!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Ring there help line - let them know what tools you want to use and they will tell you what compressor to get. Thats what I did when I got the plasma cutter that eats air.

The text in the catalogues can be very misleading.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I agree I tried a 24 litre with impact drivers and ended up getting a bigger unit I reckon 50 litres is a much better buy I got the MM catalogue today for about the money there is 000110864

there are a lot of folk selling similar and rebadged units so shop around
?code=868638
Derek

Reply to
Derek

Not tempted to buy a bigger plasma cutter lee? ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Thank you all, The reason i didnt mention what I was going to use it for was because i didnt really know. A bit of spraying is likely

The one that Derek mentioned

was the one I was looking at which seems the right price and size. The only advice I was given by a mate supposedly in the know was to get a

50ltr tank which gives you a but more "range" when spraying. With the above compressor, what air tools would i be able to run with it?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

:-)

I have toyed with passing the plasma cutter on due to the lack of use, would pay for a nice new lense for the camera which gets alot more use.

No rude offer refused ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

YHM!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Reply to
karangahape

around

?code=868638

Thank you all, The reason i didnt mention what I was going to use it for was because i didnt really know. A bit of spraying is likely

The one that Derek mentioned

was the one I was looking at which seems the right price and size. The only advice I was given by a mate supposedly in the know was to get a

50ltr tank which gives you a but more "range" when spraying. With the above compressor, what air tools would i be able to run with it?

Dave

Big list mate ( I think Netto did a load last week so likely still some about very cheap ) Spray gun, Shutz gun, air ratchet , impact driver, nibbler, cutoff tool , metal shears, drill , airline,grinder, pop riveter ( saves a load of grief), stapler/nailgun etc etc because you are not using it on a production line the compressor gets time to catch up though I reckon spraying say the side of 101 might be pushing it a bit 7cfm is a fair rate.Machine mart usually post a consumption table (optomistic IMO) or check on this list for cfm and your christmas list

Derek

Reply to
Derek

When spraying with a small tank you run out of air - which means you have to stop and wait for the tank to refil again. I could get half a car bonnet/roof out of mine before having to stop and wait for a minute before doing the other half - obviuosly this means that you can end up with a visible line in the spraying where the wet edge has dryed (which can take some polishing out afterwards!) . When it runs out of puff it also doesnt spray properly. my gun starts blowing big lumps rather than a nice fine spray when it runs out of air pressure..

I was using a HVLP gun and a 2.5hp compressor (which has a lot more grunt that the 1.5hp ones like the OP is looking at but a 30l tank) - and even that couldnt keep up with the amount of air that the spray gun wanted.

With air tools - running my cheap impact wrench at 90psi I get maybe

20-30 seconds of go from it before i can hear the compressor kick in again to recharge the tank - There isnt enough air to take all the stubborn nuts off a single 101 wheel without a wait for it to recharge.
Reply to
Tom Woods

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 21:24:44 +0100, "karangahape" wrote: I

thinking further - this would be true if you had a really really powerful pump/compressor attached to your tank. It needs to produce more air than you can use - but like i said - my compressor wont do that and it is higher rated than the ones the OP is considering.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Have you kept the compressor tank from the 101? I'm thinking of devising a method to twin tank my compressor using the 101 tank as well.

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

yes kept it and plan to do the same! :) im going to build a shelf to hold it round the back of my shed (compressor is going in the shed in a heavily insulated box to cut down on the noise!)

It is simple to plumb up twin recievers on a compressor from what i have read. You just need to T it in. Since a pipe on my compressor broke its using 101 braided hose already to feed the regulator so should be easy!.

I have all the 101 pipework stashed in the loft - im sure there were some T pieces in there.

Just gonna put one of them in before the output regulator/water trap. Will probably do it all through some of the quick release connectors too so I can move it about easily if needed.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Wed, 05 Sep 2007 07:54:04 -0700, Dave R enlightened us thusly:

I've got a small one here, 2HP/25l, and I've stopped using it in favour of one of these:

although it's gone up about 15 quid since I bought it!

nice bit of kit but it needs a good supply - running it on a too-long, not fat enough extension lead to it failing to re-start. Now it's on a shorter fatter extension it kicks in OK.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

One she's seen in Machine Mart (what a girl!) are about £120. So thats my budget. Any recommendation?

Dave

I meant to add most of the compressors apart from the swingeingly expensive kit use Euro std connectors which cost a bomb

of course you buy in packs from screwfix where they are as cheap aschips ignore the blister pack ones on ebay they tend to leak air due to a slight design difference. Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Mon, 10 Sep 2007 23:00:13 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

convert it to PCL by buying the appropriate fittings. 's what all the garages I've seen use, I've no idea why anyone thought it sensible to supply a different fitting.

Axminster's one came with a female PCL.

Reply to
Austin Shackles