FAO: Simor Barr (Slighty OT)

Was it you going down the M60 anti clockwise at about 14:30 near to junction

8 Sale, in your yellow 110 ?

If it was the pictures on your website dont do your vehicle any justice It looks a nice vehicle.

If it wasnt you apologies :)

Regards Dave

Reply to
Dave H

Er, I don't think so. Where is the M60?

It has been resprayed since I took the pictures on my site and does look a bit better now. I must get round to taking some up todate pictures of it but so far I've been busy working and driving it when not working!

It's not fair, there can't be another one the same. 'spose there must be lots though, thinking about it.

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around 8 Dec 2003 17:22:32 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

it's the bit that used to be M62 around mancyland.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Or the bit to the south that used to be the M63 !!

Confused so are we :)

Dave

Reply to
Dave H

On or around Tue, 9 Dec 2003 19:16:59 -0000, "Dave H" enlightened us thusly:

boodly confused me last time I was up there, I know. There I was, expecting to climb on to the M62 and let the pedal hit the metal for Leeds, and some bastard'd nicked it.

and coming back the other way, I've yet to get the right turn-off to continue down M62 to the M6.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Don't !! Turn off that is..... Just keep going until you hit the M6

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

If you don't turn off you'll never get to the M6. The M60 is Manchester's equivalent of the M25, coming from the east on the M62 the M62 changes into the M60 without any obvious indication, you then have to turn off the M60 to get back onto the M62 to head towards the M6/ Liverpool. If you don't turn off you will eventually end up doing a complete circuit around Manchester :-)

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Ah I see your confusion... let me explain.

You are heading south so presumably go nowhere near the M62 exit from the M60. You turn off the M60/M62 (this is the M60 exit from the M62 rather than the M62 turning into the M60 which is straight ahead) onto the M60, head south around Manchester clockwise and then stay on the road when it turns into the M56 when the M60 has a junction off itself onto the M60. Don't turn off the M60 onto the M60 at this point or you'll end up at one of the M62's (This is a trick that they picked up from the guy who "designed" the M25). Stay on the M60 that is now the M56 and that will take you to the M6.

Another option for those heading south is to go straight onto the M60 instead of turning onto the M60 when the first M62 runs out. Once on the M60 stay on the M60 until you get to the junction where the other M60 turns into the M56. Turn onto the M56 at this point rather than the M60 unless you want to try again when you meet the first M62 which will now appear to be your third M62. The M56 will then guide you to the M6

Those heading to the Northerly(ish) M6 go straight onto the M60 instead of turning onto the M60 when the first M62 runs out. Once on the M60 you have to wait until you reach the M62 again although if you miss the first M62, the second M62 is actually the first M62 you were on earlier and you've stayed on the M60 too long so watch out for the junction this time and turn onto the M60 from the M60 not the M62 from the M60 or you'll end up back in Leeds. So, head to the first M62 junction where the M62 that you used to be on is now on the right. This is the M62 junction off the M60 and when you turn left off the M60 you will actually be turning right onto the M62 that will take you to the M6.

If you are going really North on the M6 you can also use the M61. Go straight onto the M60 instead of turning onto the M60 when the first M62 runs out. If you see another M62 you've gone too far and can either wait until you see the second M62 and try again or use the first M62 as outlined above. Look for the M61 exit from the M60 and take that, stay on it and it will lead you to the M6.

Oh and if you see the signs for Hull at any point you really need a GPS !

Personally, it all seems quite straight forward to me.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

You can get to the the M6 by turning off on to the M60 at J18, but that is a waste of time - even though the signposts would encourage you to.

To get to Stoke, I do usually turn on to the M60 and turn off at Stockport and use the A6 and the go via Maclesfield, or I could turn off just after Stockport and use the A34, but Alderley Edge is a pain. No way would I go right round the M60 and use the M56 or the Axxx (the four-lane road from hell), there's no point. Going round the M6 way is 99 miles, via Stockport is 76, both take pretty much the same time - at least until the repairs to the repairs on the opened and promptly closed Therwell Viaduct II The Sequel are done - if ever!.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Sounds just like the M25. Made the mistake of stopping at South Mimms services and for someone who doesn't very often get lost, it is very annoying to find that when you start off on the last part of the journey, the only directions you can see say "M25 clockwise" and "M25 anticlockwise". I went the wrong way and due to raod works couldn't get of at the first junction on the anticlockwise route I'd taken, and because I'd done that had to stop at South Mimms to put some more petrol in so I didn't run out half way through the Dartford Tunnel.(This happened in the days before the bridge)

Reply to
Nikki

On or around Thu, 11 Dec 2003 01:55:55 +0000, richard.watson enlightened us thusly:

love the description.

ISTR you had to go off at a tangent somewhere. Perhaps they've changed it again. Used to be easy, you got out of Leeds area, headed down the M62 'til you saw a sign for M6.

I'll try to remember next time I'm up that end...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I was giving up on this thread as you're not listening so I'll try it in VERY simple terms for the third (and last) time...

The M62 turns into the M60 and there is no junction/turn off as such at this point.

The M60 continues to the north of Manchester and then heads south, eventually completing a circle.

The M62, where it leaves the M60, is a junction that has a slip road coming off the M60 and a bridge that then takes you over the M60 and onto the M62 towards Liverpool or into Manchester on the M602 if you then turn left off the slip road. It is easy to miss this exit, particularly when it's busy.

It's not a grey area, there is no room for interpretation. It's junction

12, to get onto the M62 you pull to the left hand side of the M60 and join the slip road, follow the slip road around to the right and over the bridge and then merge into the left hand lane of the M62/M602. If that aint turning off the M60 I really don't know what is. The M62/M602 goes over the top of the M60, as does the slip road.

cheers

Dave W.

Reply to
Dave White

You do go off at a tangent at junction 12.

cheers

Dave W.

Reply to
Dave White

Are you always so rude? Your club must a wonderful organisation. I'll just carry on driving the route three times week, not ending up in Liverpool!

All the best.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:01:25 +0000, richard.watson made me spill my meths by writing:

He's not rude, it was a good post that was meant to totally confuse the reader, or listener to the narrative, while at the same time being absolutely correct.

Someone should be along in a minute to post a "Whoosh" to this thread.

If you think Dave's description was hard work, you should try it with a copy of Autoroute 98 on a laptop with a GPs and wonder why I seemed to be driving through several terraces and the occasional railway line. Took a bit of doing, those embankments are so steep...

Reply to
Wayne Davies

Rude maybe. Correct certainly... ;-)

Reply to