WRX Pinouts / Remote Turn-on

For the 2005 WRX factory 6-CD head-unit....
I am having trouble finding where to connect the remote turn-on for the amp I am installing. Obviously I don't want it powered when the car is off so I
need something that is automatically switched with the ignition.... Furthermore, I prefer it to be off when the radio is off.... There is no accessory pinout that I can find like on most aftermarket radios. I was thinking of perhaps tapping into the ACC SWITCHED POWER (pinout #10) but then the amp would be on anytime the car is running, radio or not. How can I get it to power on only when the radio is on? Hoe have other people dealt with this remote turn-on issue? Will #14 UNUSED act as a remote switch like I understand it does on the Forester's radio factory?
Thanks. Mike
Pin Wire Color Function 1 Violet Radio Illumination Light + 2 Red/Yellow Right Front Door Tweeter/Speaker (+) (Brown/White at speaker) 3 Brown/White Left Front Door Tweeter/Speaker (+) (Red/Yellow at speaker) 4 Blue/Yellow Right Rear Door Speaker (+) (Blue/Yellow at speaker) 5 White/Red Left Rear Door Speaker (+) (Blue/Yellow at speaker) 6 Blue/Red Main Fuse Box, Fuse No. 2 (15A) (BATTERY - Continuous Power) 7 Orange/White Radio Illumination Light (-) 8 White/Black Right Front Door Tweeter/Speaker (-) (Green at speaker) 9 Green Left Front Door Tweeter/Speaker (-) (White/Black at speaker) 10 Yellow/Green Fuse & Relay Box, Fuse No. 9 (15A) (ACC - Switched Power) 11 Black Chassis Ground 12 Red/White Right Rear Door Speaker (-) (Red/White at speaker) 13 Red/Black Left Rear Door Speaker (-) (Red/White at speaker) 14 N/A Unused
Hi Mike
Maybe I have misunderstood something, but the radio naturally has power (+) and earth (-). If you connect the amp to plus wire and amps minus to earth (where ever available) the amp will not have power unless the radio is on and vise versa..... its so simple I believe.
> For the 2005 WRX factory 6-CD head-unit.... > > I am having trouble finding where to connect the remote turn-on for the amp > I am installing. Obviously I don't want it powered when the car is off so I > need something that is automatically switched with the ignition.... > Furthermore, I prefer it to be off when the radio is off.... There is no > accessory pinout that I can find like on most aftermarket radios. I was > thinking of perhaps tapping into the ACC SWITCHED POWER (pinout #10) but > then the amp would be on anytime the car is running, radio or not. How can > I get it to power on only when the radio is on? Hoe have other people dealt > with this remote turn-on issue? Will #14 UNUSED act as a remote switch like > I understand it does on the Forester's radio factory? > > > Thanks. > Mike > > > Pin Wire Color Function > 1 Violet Radio Illumination Light + > 2 Red/Yellow Right Front Door Tweeter/Speaker (+) (Brown/White at speaker) > 3 Brown/White Left Front Door Tweeter/Speaker (+) (Red/Yellow at speaker) > 4 Blue/Yellow Right Rear Door Speaker (+) (Blue/Yellow at speaker) > 5 White/Red Left Rear Door Speaker (+) (Blue/Yellow at speaker) > 6 Blue/Red Main Fuse Box, Fuse No. 2 (15A) (BATTERY - Continuous Power) > 7 Orange/White Radio Illumination Light (-) > 8 White/Black Right Front Door Tweeter/Speaker (-) (Green at speaker) > 9 Green Left Front Door Tweeter/Speaker (-) (White/Black at speaker) > 10 Yellow/Green Fuse & Relay Box, Fuse No. 9 (15A) (ACC - Switched Power) > 11 Black Chassis Ground > 12 Red/White Right Rear Door Speaker (-) (Red/White at speaker) > 13 Red/Black Left Rear Door Speaker (-) (Red/White at speaker) > 14 N/A Unused > >
Well yeah, but you don't wana power the amp through the radio. My concern is that whether the radio is on or not, there is always power going to it (right?) so powering the remote turn-on from the switched power could result in the amp being on whether the radio is or isn't on.
Does that sound logical or am I AFU?
-Mike

Hi
Actually what I ment was that, if you have "wakening power" coming from radio switch, I mean your radios switch that opens it, opens at the same time the amp, so you dont have the amp powered all the time either (only the radios on switch will give power to amp - not the background power mode). Im not an expert, but I had the connection made the same way in my former Audi. Sometimes it wasnt really nice, because the amp needs (at least that did) some time to "warm up" and it resultat that radio came on and the amp just after that (2-3 secs) with a power peek to speaker system.
I dont understand why you can not have the amp on, when the power is on in car (turning key turns the amp on)? The amp takes a marginal power when "idle" and it doesnt result any power leakage either, if you think that it will possinly drain your battery? This way you will also restrict the maybe not so harmful peek when radio is turned on and amp need warming up. For me this sounds the best way to do, but dont know as Im not an expert on HiFi.
> > > For the 2005 WRX factory 6-CD head-unit.... > > > > > > I am having trouble finding where to connect the remote turn-on for the > > amp > > > I am installing. Obviously I don't want it powered when the car is off > > so I > > > need something that is automatically switched with the ignition.... > > > Furthermore, I prefer it to be off when the radio is off.... There is > > no > > > accessory pinout that I can find like on most aftermarket radios. I > > was > > > thinking of perhaps tapping into the ACC SWITCHED POWER (pinout #10) > > but > > > then the amp would be on anytime the car is running, radio or not. How > > can > > > I get it to power on only when the radio is on? Hoe have other people > > dealt > > > with this remote turn-on issue? Will #14 UNUSED act as a remote switch > > like > > > I understand it does on the Forester's radio factory? > > > > > > > > > Thanks. > > > Mike > > > > > > > > > Pin Wire Color Function > > > 1 Violet Radio Illumination Light + > > > 2 Red/Yellow Right Front Door Tweeter/Speaker (+) (Brown/White at > > speaker) > > > 3 Brown/White Left Front Door Tweeter/Speaker (+) (Red/Yellow at > > speaker) > > > 4 Blue/Yellow Right Rear Door Speaker (+) (Blue/Yellow at speaker) > > > 5 White/Red Left Rear Door Speaker (+) (Blue/Yellow at speaker) > > > 6 Blue/Red Main Fuse Box, Fuse No. 2 (15A) (BATTERY - Continuous Power) > > > 7 Orange/White Radio Illumination Light (-) > > > 8 White/Black Right Front Door Tweeter/Speaker (-) (Green at speaker) > > > 9 Green Left Front Door Tweeter/Speaker (-) (White/Black at speaker) > > > 10 Yellow/Green Fuse & Relay Box, Fuse No. 9 (15A) (ACC - Switched > > Power) > > > 11 Black Chassis Ground > > > 12 Red/White Right Rear Door Speaker (-) (Red/White at speaker) > > > 13 Red/Black Left Rear Door Speaker (-) (Red/White at speaker) > > > 14 N/A Unused > > > > > > > > > > > >
Do you have a power aerial?
I've connected the remote wire to that wire.
Only thing with that is that you have to check whether the aerial stays up when you switch to cd mode, (mine does) some stereos pull down the aerial when you switch to cd, so your amp will turn off.
Otherwise i'd just go for the acc wire. Does it really matter if the amp is on all the time the car is running?

with the existing wiring and components you have, the only way to do it is to have it come on when the car is switched on. However, I believe someone (maybe PIE or PAC) make a line out converter that not only converts from speaker level to line level outputs so you can use RCA cables, it also has a relay built in so that when the speakers get power it energizes the relay and sent a remote turn-on signal back to the amp (through an independant remote turnon lead, not through the RCA line or speaker lines)