FFS its a greenlane, not a pay n play site....

I think you need a shot gun. Rabbits are a serious pest *aren't* they? You just happen to come out for a bit of rabbiting as they cross your land...

I wonder if you could erect a sign saying something like:

PRIVATE LAND Proceeding beyond this point implies you consent to paying a =A310.00 pe= r person transit fee.

And legally get the tenners from people.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

He needs to fit a slurry sprayer to the front of the truck ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Trust me; if I was to even hint at a threat with my shotgun I'd be subject to much closer scrutiny :)

It's not my land for a start :) The fence belongs to a farmer who is also a good friend of ours. He has erected signs in the past but it soon ends up thrown aside. It drives him insane.

Reply to
mark

Ian Rawlings uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Fit one of them musical things off an Ice cream van..... that would iritate the f*ck out of me after about ten minutes :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

perhaps feed Radio 1 (or Radio 3, or whatever you think works best in the circumstance) through a PA.

Reply to
William Tasso

On or around Sat, 25 Nov 2006 17:29:03 +0000, mark enlightened us thusly:

hang a "this fence is electrified" sign on it.

clear proof that ramblers and right-to-roamers are just as capable of damage as we nasty criminal hooligans in 4x4s.

On a positive note: While I was busy doing the council's work for them (re-channeling a stream across an unsealed road and repairing the erosion it had caused[1]) 2 "off-roaders" turned up. In more or less standard vehicles with discrete mods. They asked about the status of the "Brynglas" trail, which is now, BTW, permanent TRO. They'd NOT been informed of the TRO on by GLASS, despite having enquired, which is a failing on the part of whichever GALSS rep they enquired of.

Local farmer chap turned up as is his wont when seeing "them bloody off-roaders" but all was reasonable and low-key, they had no intention of driving roads that were closed, and we discussed other local lanes that were closed.

We went up and looked (on foot) at the closed bit and the damage originally caused has been aggravated in places by water, since the water which originally flowed off down into the forest is now trapped by ruts and runs down the track.

[1] self-interest, I drive across this minor ford[2] 4 times a day on most days in the transit. [2]
and scroll down to thebottom, to "Y Foel". All the water had gone to the far side looking in thatpicture. Further up are some more pictures from me of flooded Irishbridges. 's a good site, I reckon.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 25 Nov 2006 20:55:20 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

I doubt it, there's probably a "right to roam" on it. Which is of course NOT a right to trash the fence.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not within 50m of any dwelling. Having real right to roam land just over= the road I paid quite a bit of attention to the rules and maps as they were published.

Very true. About all you can do is walk.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Austin Shackles writes

:)

Which is my point really. I'd be quite happy to have all the bloody roads as muddy tracks but they all love to have their dual carriageways all the way to the car parks and from there on in they want it all to turn all countrified so they can enjoy their weekend before they bugger off back to town along some nice fast black top. Stuff the poor buggers who live and work in the green bits and god help them if they try and play in their own backyards...

Reply to
mark

That is an interesting point as to what has despoiled the landscape more, rutted tracks or motorways that are damn all use and very boring when you are cruising along at 50mph

Reply to
Larry

Thats just another individuals viewpoint unfortunately we have to find a compromise for everyone rather than dividing into single numerous issue groups. Your quote here sounds no better than those of any other single user group. As a walker, climber, 4x4 owner and farmer/landowner I have a foot/interest in most camps, all that any of the single issue groups and their indivual champions ever seem to manage to achieve is an uncanny knack for sounding remarkably petulant and self-centred, a bit like the whining of a spoilt child. We'll all do a lot better if we could stop the childish sniping at the Ramblers which has been going on here over the last few days, it can only create further division. If I think you're acting like spoilt children just think how it looks to hardened single issue Ramblers!

Reply to
Tim Jones

Pointing out that the saintly rambler can be a total d*****ad too hardly counts as childish sniping to be honest.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I hope to god that we never get tarred with the same brush as the Ramblers! They are the classic "We won't play unless it's our ball and we get to pick the sides". Universally loathed hereabouts.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:56:06 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

true, but 2 wrongs don't make a right - the ramblers snipe at us, we snipe at the trail-riders, etc etc.

we do indeed all need to work together on this, I reckon. Perhaps FoDRoW could get in touch with the ramblers next time they do a lane repair day and suggest they come along and see the other side of the evil 4x4 (or 6x6, in some cases) types, and maybe even lend a hand with a shovel. Ditto the trail riders. Same for other organisations in other areas who are doing "the council's job" (as, indeed, in my own small way I was last Saturday morning) and improving the place for everyone. It's in no-one's interest to have lanes with big mud-holes or 3ft deep puddles and the like; even the horses probably don't enjoy it.

But the world in general needs a damn' sight more tolerance, I reckon.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

ISTR they've done this, I think they've at least had help from both trail riders and horse riders turning up at one event, I'll have a chat with them next time I see them and find out what they've tried. Trail riders quite often turn up at clearance days apparently, not sure about this area but that was the case in Berkshire.

Not so sure about the horses, the local UCR near my house is impassable on anything other than a horse, too narrow and overgrown for the truck, too muddy for foot or bike. Trampled to slurry by horses and when we did a recce of it to check condition some months back, a horse rider bellowed at us that it was a bridleway not a 4x4 "racetrack". Plenty of local footpaths with horse's hoof prints on them of course.

From where I'm standing, it's us who are doing all the tolerating. We don't write letters of protest to councils because we've seen a rambler walking on a footpath for example. I don't think horses should be allowed on roads because they're bloody dangerous but I don't foam at the mouth and start firing off letters to my local MP.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I cant agree I'm afraid. I used do some serious walking for years and still do a fair bit now. I even do some mountain biking when my daughters boyfriend drags me out and the missuss likes horse riding. There is plenty of room for everybody. There are only so many places you can take a 4x4; everyone on this group knows this. If the nutters have their way you won't even be going there.

Reply to
mark

On or around Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:35:06 +0000, mark enlightened us thusly:

Yes, we know this. but confrontation is not the way to convince the nutters. Any more than them confronting us does them any good. Sadly, those who wish to confront have yet to realise this.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have no argument with this.

What I'm trying to say (and at least some others seem to understand) is that it not very good for either side of a disagreement when people resort to unecessary and irelevant redicule,criticism or character assination of the other side. The only way the 4x4 community will this is by highlighting the positive in what they do, highly negative mudslinging at the other side can only speed us along the way towards the loss of green lanes.

We also need to be very careful and think about what is said, one ill-advised quote on here can be taken out of context (and sadly all to often in context) and do a lot of damage to our case.

Reply to
Tim Jones

That's the case when talking to them, although if you've ever been in a meeting regarding a green lane you'll find that character assassination, emotional garbage and dictatorial ranting are the rambler's forte. I wouldn't say such things during a meeting with them, but when we're having a gentle moan amongst ourselves it's fine.

You're being a tad paranoid on that one. If the above was the case then we'd be able to log into just about any website that mentions

4x4s and print off the rantings of the antis and use it to defeat them, but people moaning in newsgroups and web boards isn't of much interest.
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Ahem. I don't believe I mentioned confrontation. I was merely ranting; if I can't rant here then its all gone to the dogs.... Mind you, all I have to keep it on topic is that I want to do it a landrover.... :)

Reply to
mark