Flat old bag?

Three mates in a car, one is an electronic engineer, one a mechanical engineer and the third is an MCSE (Microsoft certified software "engineer").

Their engine stalls half way down a bloody big hill. At the bottom, they all get out and look for the problem, the electronics man says "its obviously the ECU", the mechanical man, says "that's rubbish, its the fuel injectors", and the MCSE says "why don't we all push it to the top of the hill and see if it does it again ?"

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

There's also the one about closing all windows, opening the fuel cap, opening the passenger door and turning on the aircon then seeing if that makes it work, however with current alarm system reset procedures that old gag stopped being funny!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

...and Austin Shackles spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

That's what they told me when I got it back. The dealer I bought it from has sent it to a local garage, not a LR dealer, but they have "something" that can reset the computers. I asked if was anything like "Rovacom" and was told "probably". Anyhow, it works now.

Bit of a puzzle, though. It's a Land Rover, it's supposed to have its suspension at full stretch every now and again. So how come putting it on a

4-post lift with all 4 wheels off the ground should cause it to fail so completely?

Oh, and I told them that the heated screen does not work (only demists a 1" strip on the left) and the HRW has two elements out. "Mended, sir, they just cleaned up the contacts". I said I doubted if that was the problem. "Well, give it a try next time there is a frost and if it's not right bring it back." You muppet - next time there's a frost I want it to work, not be standing in the freezing cold testing the thing! They did manage to fit a new spare wheel carrier, though - took a week.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

It's a Discovery II, not a Land Rover ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

...and beamendsltd spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Oi, you sell bits for 'em - it must be a Land Rover!

Reply to
Richard Brookman

We sell bits for Freelanders too......... ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:27:49 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

The Citroens I had didn't like that - caused the system to depressurise the suspension in an effort to get the ride height back to normal. Mind, that was a nice simple mechanical system, so it pumped itself back up again pronto once let down and the engine started.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

...and beamendsltd spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Well, OK...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

With the system fully powered though so it can run the compressor to pump things back up.

My DII didn't like having each corner jacked up when I rotated the wheels, note using the jacking points on the suspension not a high lift... It was flat afterwards but soon(*) pumped itself backup when the engine was started.

Likewise it's flat when it comes of the back of low loader. You should have seen the look on the face of the dealers service manager as he grounded the tow hitch plate backing it off the last time it was recovered. B-)

(*) Soon is relative, it is quite slow if you don't know it's doing it you are hard pushed to notice. Unlike the DIII which zips up and down.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Sat, 18 Feb 2006 08:25:31 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

one-all...

Reply to
Austin Shackles