Flooded areas -v- our 'reputation'

I reserve the right to be as bolshy as I like with folks who choose to endorse the sort of selfish behaviour exhibited by the muppet in the defender!

No sensible LR owner would either act in the way that he did or defend his "right" to act in that way just because he could.

If we don't stand againest such behaviour it can only lead to more bad publicity. Would anyone here have wanted the travel news to feature the little gem that the A49 was now closed due to an irresponsible LR driver? Does anyone here really believe that undertaking through 2 feet of water less than 4 feet from slower moving and smaller cars is sensible o responsible behaviour?

It's because of selfish acts like this that the rest of us have to try EXTRA hard to counter the bad publicity.

Reply to
Tim Jones

Because it wouldn't make any difference to their opinions would it ? It'd be the same argument used in raccist argument, of course HE'S alright, but THEY are bad.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Greg wrote: It took my partner 3 months to get her CRB updated (just

And don't you have to have ANOTHER CRB check if you get a position that needs a check ? The clearance doesn't travel with you AFAIK

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

You're quite free to roll over and die if you like. Personally I'm not going to develop senseless prejudices and use them to discriminate againest our opponents and worsen our case. I bet you'll be among the first to start whining and moaning if and when recreational 4x4s are a thing of the past!

Reply to
Tim Jones

I'm a realist, going on observation.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Yes, although they talk about it being updated the reality is they insist on doing it all again which is a ridiculous waste of time and money when the whole thing was done a matter months earlier. This means that when someone who needs one, like Nicky who is a social worker, moves jobs they can be unemployed 3 months. Then the Councils wonder why they can't fill vacancies!.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

No, but I had you pegged as a peaked-capper with a saviour complex, eager to assume the worst and to start stamping your feet. From your snotty reply, I can see I was right. Chances are the other driver wasn't doing anything bad at all.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

'cos that's what would have happened if it wasn't for you! You're such a hero!

I wonder if the water level rises each time you tell that story?

Good for you. Those who don't agree 100% with you are 100% against you, for sure. They *are* the problem, you have the answers.

Don't trip over your cape.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Part of me wonders if it's too late to put a smiley at the end of that sentence, and part of me thinks it doesn't need one because that kind of attitude really gets my goat.

Tim> But given that you can't ban people just for their opinions Tim> you have to challenge their prejudices. What better way to Tim> do this by cheerfully assisting them in their time of need?

That tends to be my approach in reality.

See, for example:

As to the rest of this discussion in this thread, it doesn't matter how much of a self-righteous tosser someone else is, it doesn't give you the right to become one as well.

The concrete example of this is that just because you think someone is driving too fast for the conditions, you don't have the right to pull out in front of him. If I decide, as I frequently do, to travel at

80mph on the motorway, you don't have the right to pull out in front of me doing 70. And conversely, if someone is driving too fast and putting out a bow wave, you don't have the right to stop them, however badly you disagree with them.

I know, I wish I had the right to nuke badly behaved drivers off the road, but it ain't going to happen and the only way to deal with such behaviour is, IMHO, to rise above it.

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB

AIUI but I would have to check it is at the discretion of your new employer.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Tim Jones writes

Bow wave is a very valid point. An example were normal off-road driving has to be modified for relief work.

Reply to
hugh

I am a teacher, and have an enhanced CRB check. I'm also the "Child Protection Officer" for my local 4x4 club (the MSA insist that clubs should have one), and the MSA would not accept my enhanced CRB Disclosure, and made the club pay for a *standard* disclosure (ie less is checked). Decided I might likje to start helping as a volunteer at the local Cadet Unit being as I used to be one, and guess what I was told I would need, and the current Disclosure I hold was not valid for them, despite being recent.

The really stupid thing with the CRB check is that it just shows you have been clever enough to not get caught yet. Anything you do, if it doesn't make the papers and you hide it well enough, may not b picked up until the next disclosure, and is you say in post for long enough, you may never have another check......

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Nicky has an enhanced one for her work with vulnerable adults, it's a complete mess and not half as effective as our political masters would have us believe. It basically makes a load of money for a private company, guarantees nothing as you say, and causes huge delays in employing the staff that various organisations need.

The local council has just taken someone on for a limited contract but the CRB is taking so long the contract will be over before they can start 8-).

It could of course work almost instantly with immediate notification following any conviction, but that would mean getting all the various agencies involved to work together properly and share a central database, something that seems totally incomprehensible to the beurocrats protecting their own empires. Greg

Reply to
Greg