Flushing Oil

As an alternative to dropping the sump and cleaning the oil strainer, I have been advised to lob a can of flushing oil into the engine, which "will do the same thing".

I'm nervous that on an engine with already marginal oil pressure, am I likely to drop the pressure even further by cleaning out sludge which may actually be helping in some areas?

David

ps Just found that Penrite do a 20w/60 oil, so that may be the next option!

Reply to
rads

Twas Mon, 02 Feb 2004 11:55:18 +0000 when rads put finger to keyboard producing:

I don't use it for similar fears.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Just how dirty is your engine? A lot of dirt can cause an oil pressure drop by jamming open the pressure relief valve. If it's that dirty then

*don't* put an oil flush through it, it needs dismantling and all oilways clearing otherwise the flushing compounds could loosen lumps of dirt which then block oilways.
Reply to
PDannyD

I would've thought that if it was so dirty that it was dodgy to flush it, the effects on performance and fuel economy(??) would be fairly noticeable?

`Mark

Reply to
mark_blemish

I think it's very unwise to put engine flush through an old engine, unless you're planning to rebuild & possibly rebore it. Putting flush in and then running on Synthetic oil will almost always result in low idling oil pressure.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Putting flush

but what about flushing it and putting 15 50 ( good quality oil ) in.

i have a 1986 diahatsu engine in my series andwonderd what benefits id get by flushing, and does flushing actualy work?

my oil pressures at the minuite are cold 75 idleing at 65 hot 50 idleing at 25

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

Pressure relief valve, BTDT, see "V8 Oil Pressure" thread on the 28th of Jan.

Performance wise, it seems pretty good. Fuel economy is an the abject side of absymal, but normal for a Range Rover! Only problem is a low oil pressure light when stationary in drive after a motorway run. I know I could just ignore it, but it irritates!

Suspect the real problem is worn main or big end bearings, but might see if I can get another seasons towing out of it before I do a full rebuild.

Clean oil pick up and Penrite 20W/60 toniught, I think.

Thanks for all the replies.

David

Reply to
rads

On or around 2 Feb 2004 23:20:58 GMT, Andy enlightened us thusly:

I've had some supposedly-good 15W50 in the V8, but despite the fact that in theory when hot it's the same as 20W50, the hot oil pressure ain't so good. I'll be getting some more decent 20W50, but I've not been past the place that sells it, and I won't put cheapcrap 20W50 in it, which is all the local types have.

btw, your oil pressures sound OK, though I've no idea what the "correct" figures are for the daihatsu.

Reply to
Austin Shackles