Flushing oils

I've just bought a car (Peugeot 306 Diesel - Meridien) and will be doing a general service. I usually use flushing oil after draining the oil. The problem is that the recommended engine oil is semi-synthetic or full synthetic but I can't find a flushing oil which states that it's suitable for flushing engines requiring these types of oil.

Is there any risk of damage using a generic flushing oil especially as the recommended usage is to run the engine for up to 30 minutes on tickover?

For this time I'm going to be using a flushing additive but would prefer a full flush sometime in the future. Any suggestions for a suitable flushing oil most welcome.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I thought flushing oil was supposed to be added to the existing oil prior to draining it?

Reply to
Conor

Not generally. The general usage is to drain and then put in a full gallon which would obviously not be possible without draining first. One oil I've used in the past is sold as half gallons which is supposed to be used on its own - a bit dodgy I think.

The additive I mentioned is only 300ml so that may be what you're thing of.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

[...]

Is this a record? I seem to have sent the same reply four times - no idea how, but apologies to anybody who thinks their drink has been spiked.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

My understanding is that flushing oil is considered unnecessary these days; modern oils already have detergents in them. In a very dirty engine, they may do more harm than good.

Better to save the cost, and use it to increase the frequency of changes IMHO.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

Not using Pan as your newsreader by any chance?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Agreed. Usually snake-oil flogged by unscrupulous garages as a nice easy high-margin upsell.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes I am but it's been behaving itself recently. I'll swap over to Thunderbird if it becomes too erratic.

About your remarks on flushing oil. I was thinking along the same lines generally. I'm going to use the additive first and then do another oil change after a few hundred miles. Very wasteful at £22-00 (Halfords) but worth it overall.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Cicero gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Why bother? Seriously?

If you think the car's been that badly maintained, why on earth are you buying it?

Reply to
Adrian

It isn't a case of thinking it's been badly maintained. It's really that I like to know exactly what the position is. The car is nearly 9 years old with a decent service history but I like to check everything for myself before I drive a new car. If anything has been neglected I want to put it right before it can get worse.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero
[...]

Literally seconds after posting here, I had a Pan multi-post in another NG!. Bloody annoying; it only seems to happen when my news server is slow.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yep - I think it's to do with the way that Pan handles time-outs on posting confirmations.

Unfortunately, Pan development seems to have ceased.

0.133 - beta, Aug 2008 0.14.2 - stable, Aug 2003...
I love T'bird as a mail client, but not as a news client. I'm reasonably happy with Pan - it's about the least-worst out there.
Reply to
Adrian
[...]

Indeed; I've tried lots of others, but still come back to Pan.

I'm guessing newsreaders are not something that developers are going to be interested in now, sadly.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In article , Cicero writes

Someone in uk.comp.homebuilt just did exactly the same thing. You're both using Pan (he 0.133, you 0.132).

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Cicero writes

You're wasting your time and money flushing it. It's a nine year old French car, for heaven's sake. It's a banger.

Just get the oil hot so that it drains more readily then change it and the filter. Job done.

If neglect extends to infrequent or no oil changes, the damage is already done and no amount of flushing will fix it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson
[...]

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You and I obviously have different ideas as to what constitutes a 'banger'. I don't think a car should be discarded just because the ashtrays are full and the paintwork has become a bit dull.

These Peugeot cars have a 12 year corrosion warranty (not that I expect to be able to claim) and as far as I can see they do last in good rust- free condition. Cars of this age can have a very good life expectancy if you're prepared to spend a bit of money. Many cars are scrapped for the most trivial of reasons. I prefer to rescue a solid reliable car which will give me good service at minimal cost.

The oil flush and change is just one aspect of the work I'm doing but a car with good service history and just 74000 miles on the clock is well worth a bit of effort and money.

Your motoring needs may differ from mine but you might try doing the same kind of rescue that I'm doing and you might be agreeably surprised.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero