Freelander

I'm considering purchasing a 2004 Freelander and am wondering if anyone has experienced any issues. I'm not very familiar with Land Rover. Thanks a lot.

Reply to
Jay

Go to google groups, search for Freelander in this group, read what pops up, then buy a Disco.

Reply to
EMB

I have a 2002 Td4 that is at the dealer for the 16th time in 6 months. Mostly major faults. It is the single worst vehicle I have ever had the displeasure to own! I have driven 3 different 2004 models and find the cabin a bit cramped. Window switches have moved to the doors, impeding leg room for tall drivers. The new centre console is bigger, impeding leg room for tall drivers! The fancy, sparkly finish to the new facia and door trims inside has always been scratched, reveling the black beneath. I would hate to see the state of these vehicles 3 or 4 years down the line.

By a Disco. I will, once I get my money back for the crap Freelander!

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

... and in contrast, I have a 2002 Td4 and it hasn't missed a beat. It is by far the most reliable car I've ever had.

It manages 35-40mpg. Easy and car-like to drive. Better ride than a comparable Discovery. The boot is a bit small.

Biggest downside is the cost of servicing, but at least it's only annual (but then I guess most cars only have 12 mth intervals now, do they?)

Cheers

Blippie

-- Visit the alt.aviation.safety FAQ online at

Blippie

Jay,

I have a 2003 Kalahari TD4, prior to this like yourself we never owned a Landy and after a lot of research went for the TD4, the Freelander is very impressive. It hasnt missed a beat, I love it, its the pre new shape which I actually prefer the interior to the new style which is crap to say the least.........I believe you can get the `old` shape for 3 k less off list, if you went for the kalahari its next down to the ES top range which gives you all the extras` The bmw 2.0 16v engine is unsurpassed, and mechanically is sound, the only trouble I am having with mine is the clutch judders at times, which I belive is common, but compared to other landys( ie Disco) thats not bad. I know a few people slate the freelander, but I`m well happy with ours, and its not too big for my wife to drive. I dont think you would be dissapointed!

Dave.

Reply to
D&M

But try getting them out of a Disco or Rangie into summat smaller once they have driven one for a while.

Mrs D had a yen for a 206. When our Rangie was recently pranged we had a 206 as a hire car. 4000 miles on the clock. Mrs D stopped short of spitting on it. Nowt wrong just "small and platsicy!". The Grin was restored as she disappeared down the street in the Disco leaving me with the Pug.

They are nice to look at but bugger all use. (Pugs 206's not freelanders!)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

We are a family who have a 206 and a Freebie TD4.

The 206 is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar nicer to drive. Handling, speed, roadholding, headroom(!), everything. Oh, and reliability.

But of course, no king-of-the-road driving height.

Having said that no major bits have fallen off the Freebie, but loads of stuff that has meant constant visits to dealer.....

-Rob

Reply to
Rob

Rob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I wonder how common this is. We have a 105 soft-top (rather old) and a disco (rather new). We are considering replacing the 105 with some small two-seater. Great combination, though I have to say my gf still seems to prefer to drive the 105.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Mortimer

Happily I just managed to get rid of my 2002 (52) TD4 Auto with 16k on the clock. Nice car to drive, just didn't went all that often. Mainly annoying things like the crank sensor, warped discs *from when I had it brand new) and 5 attempts to get aircon.

Reply to
R101