Steering wheel mobile phone?

Who was the company who were trying to launch a steering wheel mobile phone a couple of years ago?

Not sure if the phone itself was built into the wheel, but all of the controls were, with large buttons for numbers, scrolling and volume etc., with a much larger backlit display for phonebook entries.

ISTR that they were trying to get manufacturers to adopt it, but were also wanting to offer it as a 'replacement' wheel through the likes of Halfords.

Can't find it on Google, so p'raps they abandoned the idea? Now would be a very good time to introduce it again though.

As an aside I just called a few 'hands free' installation companies to ask - they'd not heard of it, however a couple mentioned that they haven't seen any real increase in demand following the 1st December legislation. For a laugh I mentioned that I'd be interested in putting one in my Land Rover. When asked what sort I obviously told them 'a 101' :-)

Two companies offered a range of kits for 'my Defender'...

One replied... "The trouble with the 101 is that because you're sat on top of the engine you need a very loud speaker on the handsfree kit. This can cause feedback. You may be better off with a headset and cradle". I was impressed and mentioned to him that almost nobody knows what a 101 is "I'm ex REME, and hate them" was the response!

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Mother"

Reply to
Mike Jones Super Hero (sluff)

Just wanted to add that I was a Recce Mech ....the only truly exciting job in the REME

Happy Days

Reply to
Mike Jones Super Hero (sluff)

It was certainly one of those 'technology for the future' progs.

Maybe they'll increase when more people get fined?

Mind, at around 300 quid for a reasonable kit, one can afford to get

10 'on the spot', non-endorsable fines, Hmmm...

Odd isn't it that I've never met an ex forces bod who is neutral about the 101? They either rant and rave about them being the best thing in the history of everythingness or hate them. I suspect that those who say they hate them do have a secret liking for them, though :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Somehow, the 101 _looks_ right for the job.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Land Rover had access to a decent diesel when the replacement project came up. Coil springs, and maybe a bit more plastic panelling -- things like locker doors?

Sort of like the difference between an SIII and a Wolf...

Reply to
David G. Bell

Didn't they build some sort of coil sprung forward control thingy based on the Defender?? Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Land Rover produced a number of prototype commercial vehicles, most notably the Llama - which was oft muted as the civvy 101 (the 101 'as was' would never be suitable for civvy use as the cab was too small).

There was (looks around carefully) a prototype 101 replacement with coil springs and an (I think, but may be wrong, Perkins Diesel) non-welded balls etc - which still 'looked' like a 101. Sad to say though that the Pinzy was already on order by that time.

Norman Busby began design work on the 101 in 1965 - full(ish) production started in 1972. Many believe that the MOD felt it unsafe to await a similar 7 year development cycle for a replacement for the

101. The fact that Land Rover had already completed much of this R&D didn't seem to carry much weight in Whitehall.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

and 30 years on, it still does :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

The Llama. I wish they had gone into production. Dunsfold Collection has 5:

Richard Lock

- "He is a significant risk to children"================================================================ Mother"

Reply to
Mike Jones Super Hero (sluff)

Reply to
Nikki

[Tongue in cheek Mode ON]

only a woman could say such a thing !!!! roflmao

[Tongue in cheek Mode OFF]
Reply to
Mike Jones Super Hero (sluff)

Without wanting to drift too far off topic, and certainly not wanting to support any sexist stereotypes, but...

WTF is it with 'the handbag' that means that whatever you need will be in the worst accessible place for chrissake? Charlotte is the same, doesn't matter what it is, keys, phone, purse, pen, anything bloodywellelse...

I went into town on the bus earlier to get a new pair of jeans. Yep, used the bus partly as it's sodding impossible to park in Sheffield especially at this time of year and partly to show how environmentally aware I am. Not any quicker than spending 45 minutes trying to find somewhere to park after the bus stops to let people on. Blokes usually just chuck a quid at the driver and say thanks - women however have to go through the tedious ritual of delving deeply into the handbag, finding the purse, trying to remember which particular compartment of the purse holds the money, then extracating each 2p piece individually to eventually make the fare. Oh, and if this isn't bad enough, the woman behind her - instead of thinking "oh, perhaps I should get my money ready", waits until she gets to the driver, asks for a 85p fare, THEN starts the rummage for the purse in handbag, carrier bags, coat pockets, returning to the handbag finding it, can't find enough 2p coins so relents and gives him a Tenner...

... and then the next, and the next ...

Alright, environmentally aware, not necessarily a 'new man' ;-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Reply to
Dave White

Kin eck... Blast from the past (literally)... I worked for Jim Marshall in the 70s for a couple of months!

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Peavey amps have far better barcodes...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Far safer to use it 'hands free'!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Hmmm, if the phone itself was actually built into the steering wheel then wouldn't you still be breaking the (new) law as you would be holding the phone whilst using it?

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

Personally I loved the 101 ... but then I never had to repair them. Now Cheiftain that's a different story - bloody useless piece of armoured s**te. See, I used to have to fix those ;-)

Regards Steve G (Control Equipments Tech)

Reply to
SteveG

Funnily enough, I get to abuse an XR600F from time to time. It's survived my vocals, so it must be pretty well made.

if you're interested - I'm their roadie ...

Reply to
QrizB