Front seats of Landy

Would I be insured for two adults and a 9 year old in the front of a landy?

Reply to
Trevor Appleton

Twas Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:41:05 +0100 when "Trevor Appleton" put finger to keyboard producing:

Don't see why not. If it left the factory with a seat there then I'd expect people to sit in it. (use a lap belt though eh).

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I think if I remeber rightly children under 14 or 16 cant remeber wich must be in the rear of the vehicle is it a two or a 3 seat landy and is it a crew cab ie 5 seat or 3 if its a 2 seat landy NO definitly not and please dont be tempted to drive with the child sat on a knee if you want to know why I can arrange for some pictures after a 15mph crash with a 6 year old sat on a knee becouse they had some boxes on the back seat and an EMPTY boot.

If its a 3 I would say so as thats how the vehicle was designed but please please please fit a lap belt at least.

Enough of my crap lol if you can put more info accross then im sure someone will know the ins and outs better I will check with a freind who is a traffic bobby and let you know]

Paul

Reply to
Paul Henry

Play safe and phone the insurer, if they hedge a bit then agree; get it in writing.

Verbal contracts are worth the paper they are written on.

message

Reply to
Hirsty's

I suppose the question is not really Landy specific, but I just happen to be thinking of buying one.

My wife has been told that its illegal for a child under 12 to sit in the fron seat of ANY vehicle.

Reply to
Trevor Appleton

l from the picture I've seen, its got three seat belts (no crew cab)

message

Reply to
Trevor Appleton

I haven't got an insurer, I don;t even know if the garage still has it for sale.

Reply to
Trevor Appleton

AFAIK a child must be in a suitable restraint *if one is present* and in the back seat if there is one. i.e. back seats and suitable restraints have precedence. Otherwise how could you transport a child under 12 in a Smart car f'rinstance.

We only have 2 official seats in our Landy - a 101, so the kids usually sit in the minibus seats with lapbelts that we have retrofitted.

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

On or around Sat, 19 Jun 2004 20:11:07 +0100, "Trevor Appleton" enlightened us thusly:

not quite true, I suspect. a) you can use a proper child seat and b) the regulations cover a "small child".

here y'go..., this is the essence. "The act" is the road traffic act...

Motor Vehicles (Wearing of Seat Belts by Children in Front Seats) Regulations 1993

(3) In these Regulations :-

'child' means a person under the age of 14 years;

'large child' means a child who is not a small child; and

'small child' means a child who is :-

(a) aged under 12 years; and

(b) under 150 centimetres in height.

(4) In these Regulations, 'adult belt' means a seat belt in respect of which one or more of the following requirements is satisfied, namely that :-

(a) it is a three-point belt which has been marked in accordance with regulation 47(7) of the Construction and Use Regulations;

(b) it is a lap belt which has been so marked;

(c) it is a seat belt that falls within regulation 47(4)(c)(i) or (ii) of those Regulations;

(d) it is a seat belt fitted in a relevant vehicle ('the vehicle in question') and comprised in a restraint system :-

(i) of a type which has been approved by an authority of another member State for use by all persons who are either aged 13 years or more or of 150 centimetres or more in height, and

(ii) in respect of which, by virtue of such approval, the requirements of the law of another member State corresponding to these Regulations would be met were it to be worn by persons who are either aged 13 years or more or of 150 centimetres or more in height when travelling in the vehicle in question in that State.

(1) For a child of any particular height and weight travelling in a particular vehicle, the description of seat belt prescribed for the purposes of section 15(1) of the Act to be worn by him is :-

(a) if he is a small child and the vehicle is a relevant vehicle, a child restraint of a description specified in sub-paragraph (a) or (b) of paragraph (2);

(b) if he is a small child and the vehicle is not a relevant vehicle, a child restraint of a description specified in sub-paragraph (a) of paragraph (2);

(c) if he is a large child, a child restraint of a description specified in sub-paragraph (a) of paragraph (2) or an adult belt.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

So lets get this right. Landy with three seats only and three seat belts. 9 year old legal in the front?

Reply to
Trevor Appleton

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles blithered:

Destinctly sexist wouldn't you say. Does this suggest children of the female persuasion may or may not be conveyed in a covered vehicle?

Reply to
GbH

On or around Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:41:02 +0100, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

somewhere there's a definition that in legislation he includes she and vice versa.

's not in that bit though.

I'm more concerned with what I see as flawed wording in the definition of "small child", bearing in mind that the essence of the matter is height - children under a certain height can't safely use adult-sized 3-point belts.

I reckon that the definition should read "under 12 OR under 150cm" not AND.

but what do I know? besides, the under 12 bit is a red herring anyway. I know a number of children who are under 12 and over 150cm; I also know several who are over 12 and under 150cm.

if the problem is height, then the under 12 bit is irrelevant, and all it really needs to say is "under 150cm".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 19 Jun 2004 19:12:27 +0100, "Paul Henry" enlightened us thusly:

see my post. I have the complete legislation if anyone wants to know more.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 20 Jun 2004 07:54:24 +0100, "Trevor Appleton" enlightened us thusly:

more from the Rules...

-----------------

  1. Description of seat belts to be worn by children

(1) For a child of any particular height and weight travelling in a particular vehicle, the description of seat belt prescribed for the purposes of section 15(1) of the Act to be worn by him is :-

(a) if he is a small child and the vehicle is a relevant vehicle, a child restraint of a description specified in sub-paragraph (a) or (b) of paragraph (2);

(b) if he is a small child and the vehicle is not a relevant vehicle, a child restraint of a description specified in sub-paragraph (a) of paragraph (2);

(c) if he is a large child, a child restraint of a description specified in sub-paragraph (a) of paragraph (2) or an adult belt.

(2) The descriptions of seat belt referred to in paragraph (1) are :-

(a) a child restraint with the marking required under regulation 47(7) of the Construction and Use Regulations if the marking indicates that it is suitable for his weight and either indicates that it is suitable for his height or contains no indication as respects height;

(b) a child restraint which would meet the requirements of the law of another member State corresponding to these Regulations were it to be worn by that child when travelling in that vehicle in that State.

-------------------

So if your 9-y-o is under 150cm (i.e. a "small child") then it's legal provided you use a suitable child restraint.

from my reading, the LR is a "relevant vehicle".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"It is illegal for any child under the age of 12 years to sit in the front seat of ANY car, even if there are no back seats, and for any person to sit anywhere in ANY car (this includes the driver) unless a) wearing a 5-point harness, b) wrapped in bubble-wrap, and c) wearing safety specs and a stab vest. In addition, the vehicle must travel at no more than 10mph, must be using hazard lights, and carry a rear window sticker saying "BACK OFF! PEOPLE ON BOARD!" in dayglo orange. Intelligent cameras will be able to identify non-compliance and offenders will be banned from driving for a hundred years." Unregistered, untaxed and unroadworthy cars, and uninsured drivers, will be exempt as of course there won't be any policemen around to enforce it.

Oh sorry, I was reading the 2007 Construction and Use Regs, not the current ones.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

"Richard Brookman" wrote in news:cb3msj$b8v$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com:

I'd suggest that if the suitable restraint were chosen for most of the children I've met, the problem could be swiftly eliminated. But then I'm a batchelor mentally scarred by two years of teaching 12 year olds in my formative years.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue