Frozen locks

Just seen on " tele" someone who had hung car keys on house radiator (presumably to make them warm for tomorrow morning

Seems a good idea but would it affect operation of the (battery) alarm fob

Reply to
Julian Pollard

No idea.

But I find that the heat from the hot air gun is very effective when applied to the key - or it might be the bad language while stamping about in the snow waiting for the locks to thaw.

Having said that; could you get a non-alarm key cut - one of those nasty all metal keys without the attractive plastic fob/battery bit? If so you could use that as a heat probe if you applied heat with a hot air gun to the exposed bit. Come to think of it, it wouldn't even need to fit the lock.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

I used to keep my lock de-icer in the glove box :-(

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Doesn't the fob lock/unlock the car as well as set/reset the alarm?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I keep my primary lock de-icer on my face (breath) and my emergency lock de-icer in my underpants ;-)

So far not been cold enough for me to need anything other than breath, thankfully, as the alternative can look bad in the local car park.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Suppose its incase the ignition freezes up. Can't be too carefull. Just got in Minus 12c

Whats the Chances the 110's washer will work for the MOT tomorrow! Has anti wotsit in but that is COLD!

Great night for star gazing.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

alarm?

Well how is it going to get wet enough, I think if you'd been wading to that depth there would be other things to worry about. B-)

Haven't tried mine recently but then I know it's got stuff in it down to -10C and we haven't quite been that cold. We've actually warmed up a bit now it's only -4C and there is a bit of wind.

Not at -12C!

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

same here, up to minus 3 in such a short space of time too! Brrrrr

indeed!

Time to hit the sack.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Dangerous too if you get 'flash back'!

Reply to
GbH

I think I've already got high concentrations of antifreeze screenwash in there, it needs a top-up so I'll make sure. That's if I can get the bonnet open, when I came to change the starter this morning, I spent half an hour just getting the catch to open, had to throw lots of hot water under the bonnet in the end, pouring it over the lock didn't help, I suspect the cable itself was the problem somehow. Once open, it wasn't keen on staying closed afterwards. I'll see if it frees up once the engine's been running for a while, if so then water in the cable has to be the issue, the lock itself can move freely when moved by hand.

Contours? ;-)

Wasn't too bad, although once I'd changed the starter I found out that it was the blasted immobiliser key that was the problem, which was odd as I'd checked 12v permanent feed to the starter and the signal cable was working fine too but the starter wasn't firing, the new starter didn't fire either until I changed the immobiliser key. I'll fire off another post about that in a bit.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

suffcient to

Guess how cold it got here last night? Guess who's washers are frozen up? Glad I carry a bottle or two of water in the back, learnt that the hard way as well. Low sun and salt spray 'orrible.

follow

I have DII, and like most cars has a windscreen curved in two directions. At least after an hour of driving they generally get soft enough to work properly with the heat coming through the screen. Pity the washers don't thaw out, even after 60 odd miles of driving and sat in a carpark for an hour half way through they are still frozen.

Typical.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As long as you aim for something low, the 101 just goes over the top of it and the crumple zone is the axle and springs!

Reply to
Tom Woods

In message , Tom Woods writes

The driver is actually sitting in the catapult.

Reply to
hugh

On or around Fri, 8 Jan 2010 00:55:26 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

The Range Rover Vogues have heated washer nozzles. Or some do, anyway...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Austin Shackles" wrote............

Smug :-)

Reply to
Oily

Mine does.

Reply to
Nige

On 10 Jan, 12:05, "Nige" wrote: .

So does mine - and it dates from 1990!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Here was I thinking they still used Whitworth and unified bolts.

You probably have the special nuts and bolts with the round heads. ;)

Reply to
Paul Saccani

That's a bit OTT, 19mm bolts? ;-)

Reply to
Oily

On or around Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:43:58 -0800 (PST), Richard Savage enlightened us thusly:

Mine's 1991. and that has them, too. 'course, the discos don't, which can be annoying.

Reply to
Austin Shackles