Fuel Filter

1986 90 2.5 petrol. Misfire and lack of power especially when asked to provide power. Having checked the ignition system and found it in rather good nick my thoughts return to dirt in the fuel system. New fuel filter obtained, manual read, I go outside to lay in the wet and change the filter, a simple 10 min job? No, as I should have suspected, the nut on the filter won't undo, it's rusted up and is more round than hexagonal, sockets won't touch it without turning on it, easing oil doesn't work, shouldn't think it's ever been off/changed since new. So where do I go from here folks? Can't use a grinder 'cause it's full of petrol (other than muck) and the tank is too close for comfort.
Reply to
Bob Hobden

A nut splitter would be a good first attempt - basically a metal loop that goes over the nut with a screw driven chisel coming in from one side.

You could also try an impact socket - they drive on the flats rather than on the points of a nut so get things off that normal sockets won't touch.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

The trouble is that most filters have a long bolt, rather than a nut, so a nut splitter wouldn't work. But I'm not familiar with the details of this particular model.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Can you file two slots and use a cross-headed impact driver? If you can get a drill to it then you could drill off the head of the bolt.

Reply to
PDannyD

Yes, it has a long bolt that passes through the length of the filter with the thread being in the top cover. I'm thinking it might be easier to replace the whole thing, but then no doubt the bolts that hold it onto the chassis won't move either and they are difficult to get to. I'm wondering if I could file off the nut by hand taking care not to cause too much heat but it's difficult to get a file to and would probably take hours.

Impact socket might just work, but the cover/bracket it bolts into is ally so the hammering could cause problems.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

ths happened on my rangie.

I managed to cut through the rusted up clamp with some cutters, then remove the filter and the holder was easy to undo from the chasis.

New clamp and filter, my misfire was cured.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

On or around Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:07:24 -0000, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

cut through the pipes, join using a short section of petrol hose. making sure that it *is* petrol hose, and not something that'll rot, of a suitable diameter (prolly 5/16"/8mm bore) and a couple of small jubilee clips. optionally, fit generic inline fuel filter there, but a better bet is to put the filter in the engine bay where it's easier to get to.

'snot worth faffing with unless you're super-fussy about originality.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Austin

Ah! Lateral thinking, I like that. At least it would get it going again. Thanks Austin.

Reply to
Bob Hobden