Fuel leaks, catch tank and associated plumbing in 1990 RR Classic

In search of the source of a strong smell of petrol that can be smelt at the rear of the vehicle after completing a journey, i.e. only when the engine has been running, I find a small tube is attached at one end only to the end of the breather tube NTC2787 that is attached just below the filler neck.

I think it is part 575865 although it is much shorter than one would expect from the parts manual. It's about 3 or 4 inches long.

The pipe is clear reinforced polythene and has some sort of tapped insert in the free end.

I can see lots of pretty pictures of the non-evaporative loss system in the parts book but can't relate it to the fuel filler plumbing. Nor can I find any information about how to get to it. 'Off comes the wing' seem to be the most likely answer but, obviously, I do not want to do that without good reason.

So, where should the pipe go and/or what is it?

VIN is 3GA4..

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Both pipes go to the tank. From memory, NTC2887 (which is just and elbow basically) goes to just next to the tank filler inlet (it changes to NTC7344 from GA423881), and 575865 goes to the front right top of the tank. The former is to prevent "glugging" when filling, and the latter is to prevent pressure and/or a vacuum forming in the tank - I think.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Hi Richard

Certainly NT2887 - being a rubber hose about 15mm in diameter - (not sure where I got NTC2787 from) goes from the top side of the filler neck to the tank and allows the air displaced by the fuel an easy exit from the tank. However, I can't see an obvious destination for the stub of tube (possibly 575865) and the parts book shows the evap loss system, the fuel tank and the filler system on separate pages.

Also looking under the non-smelly 1988 RR the little tube (possibly

575865) dissapears forwards from its attachment point at the filler neck into the space behind the O/S wing :-(

I'll have another stare and practice some contortions with mirrors and lights.

Ta

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Richard, further to my previous reply I have taken a couple of pics which can be seen at:

These don't seem to accord with the parts book.

The filler assembly page (Sep 04 p458) shows item 7 as being 'Hose assembly-breather' 575865 and from the drawing it looks quite long.

The Catch Tank-Petrol-Non Evap Loss page (Sep 04 446) shows item 21 'Pipe Fuel' NTC4538 and from the drawing it looks quite short and being an inverted 'U' shape. This looks far more like what the photos show.

If you compare them I'm pretty certain that I can see in '1990_003' the stub outlet from the evap tank with the remains of the same poly hose that can be seen closer to the camera but behind the filler pipe. Can you see the metal insert in the end of the broken hose? Do you think that is anything special?

I think that '1988_002' shows the hose properly attached to the evap tank.

What are the chances of me being able to get the remains of the old hose of the evap tank stub and fit a new bit???? I'm wondering about cutting a the corner off the area below the evap tank. What do you think? Is removing the O/S wing truly awful?

Is the hose special in any way other than being suitable for petrol?

Do you stock it? 1990 RRC VIN 3GA422556 Am I right in identifying it as NTC4538

I have some double wall fuel hose that I used to replace the rusty steel fuel pipes on the 1988 RRC where they leaked on top of the chassis. Would that do?

Very many thanks

Richard

PS at least the stub doesn't appear to have broken off the evap tank and the fuel tank doesn't seem to be the source of the smell of fuel!

Reply to
Richard

I think I've worked out what's going on. Do you have the 1992 on version of the parts book? This doesn't cover pre-1992 vehicles, the earlier book RTC9908CB does have the pre GA464553 arrangement in it, which looks exactly like the photo! The cut hose being

575865. I can't be certain, but it looks from the photo as though someone has cut the pipe and re-joined it using some copper pipe. I've asked to see what the availability of this pipe is.

Unfortunately the book is not a ring-binder job, so I can't fax you a copy of the page, frame C18 - perhaps someone could oblige?

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd