Reliant Robin Fuel Leak

We are desperate! We're trying to move, and somebody decided to sabotage all of our vehicles by yanking fuel lines...3 motorbikes(easy fix) and a 1981 Reliant Robin 850 with a Rialto engine. Problem is, my partner, the owner of the Robin, can't seem to sort out what tubes go where. We seem to have a spare tube that we don't know where it's supposed to go, hanging off the carburator and petrol coming out of one of the carburator valves and the hard short tube underneath it. We've scoured 2 Reliant workshop manuals, a bike manual(hoping it might give us the general gist), and he's even gone to look at his other Robin that's sitting at a mechanics that was closed for the day.

Can somebody tell me, or can email me a diagram, of which of the rubber tubes goes from the fuel pump to the carburator, and the carburator to the engine, and what we might be missing?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Melissa Lewis

Reply to
gryphonsgate

From what I can remember there is a metal pipe that comes up from the fuel pump low down on the engine with a short rubber pipe to the float chamber on the carb. Theres also a fatter rubber pipe that attaches to the main body of the carburettor on an angle ( which if I remember is difficult to get on cos the air filter is in the way). Thirdly there is a long black pipe that fixes to the top of the float chamber which is an overflow pipe for the float chamber and is arranged so that any petrol cant overflow on to the exhaust. If you cant tell which is which on the float chamber , undo the lid ( 3 lil screws) the overflow comes straight out of the lid. The feed goes thru the float valve , the bit with the needle valve. This is from memory so hope its of some use. steve the grease

Reply to
R L driver

"gryphonsgate" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Can't help, but I hope the bastards die of unimaginable diseases that involve lots of tubing to try to keep them alive.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

: Can somebody tell me, or can email me a diagram, of which of the rubber : tubes goes from the fuel pump to the carburator, and the carburator to : the engine, and what we might be missing?

From memory...

Fuel pipe runs from tank to pump to top of float chamber.

Two breather pipes run from top of float chamber (lower pipe) and oil filler to a T union, then to a pipe which disappears out of sight to the front left, where it goes through a fluid trap under the car, then reappears to go into the side of the carb below the butterfly.

You don't need the carb breather, but may need to reset mixture if you remove it, since the pressure on top of the petrol in the float chamber changes. Opening the breather pipe on the carb body to atmosphere causes problems, so if you don't have any breathers block it off. I just have the oil filter breather plumbed directed to the carb - works fine.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Thank you all for your assistance in this. We found that when he went to put the hoses back, my partner put them on in reverse and flooded the carbs. He finally got it sorted, cleaned out the float chamber, and car is now running better than it did before hand(think that float chamber needed cleaning anyways).

The only problem with it that we're having now is that it'll start almost straight away if it's on any kind of minor slope, but if it's on a flat surface, it doesn't want to turn over. Any suggestions?

Reply to
gryphonsgate

: The only problem with it that we're having now is that it'll start : almost straight away if it's on any kind of minor slope, but if it's on : a flat surface, it doesn't want to turn over. Any suggestions?

I've had all sorts of funny things happen with a sticking solenoid on the pre-engage starter. Luckily, it's outrageously easy to access: remove the side hatch atthe driver's feet, remove the solenoid unit (you don't have to take the starter out), clean it, grease it, replace, test.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

The message from "gryphonsgate" contains these words:

It hasn't been hit by a train recently, has it? (insert smiley of choice here)

Reply to
Guy King

Funny that, the though also occoured to me. :o)

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard