Garage? wet LR?

I've never owned a garage at home before, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

The past few nights I've been putting Growler in the garage because he doesnt like the cold very much. I've put him away tonight, even though there's quite a bit of frozen snow all over the roof, on the tyres etc. so I can use it in the morning. Will he be ok in there? I read somewhere that if your vehicle is wet it should not be put inside a garage as this assists with corrosion.

See? I told you it was a stupid question!

TAXI!

Paul

Reply to
Pacman

Not a stupid question, although I think that the time it's in the garage has an effect. I once put my prized Honda Blackbird in the garage as I was going away for a few weeks. I didn't clean it properly and when I returned there was corrosion on all the alumunium parts :(

Maybe overnight doesn't have the same effect...

--

swap z's in email address for the above

Reply to
danny

|| Pacman wrote: || ||| ||| The past few nights I've been putting Growler in the garage because ||| he doesnt like the cold very much. I've put him away tonight, even ||| though there's quite a bit of frozen snow all over the roof, on the ||| tyres etc. so I can use it in the morning. Will he be ok in there? ||| I read somewhere that if your vehicle is wet it should not be put ||| inside a garage as this assists with corrosion. ||| || || Not a stupid question, although I think that the time it's in the || garage has an effect. I once put my prized Honda Blackbird in the || garage as I was going away for a few weeks. I didn't clean it || properly and when I returned there was corrosion on all the || alumunium parts :(

You may be right. I used to own a Renault 5 which lasted well for a couple of years in the cold and rain. Then I got round to clearing out the garage and started putting it away at night. Six months later - rust everywhere. This may be coincidence (Renaults being as they are) but I'm pretty sure that warmth and a moist atmosphere is the ideal environment to accelerate the natural tendency of iron and its relations to return to their natural state. Garages are great for keeping a dry car dry (and a lot of other things too) but if it's already wet I would think it would be better to let it dry off in the air before putting it away.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

What about putting an extractor fan into the garage to create some kind of airflow?

James

Reply to
James

An extractor would work, but people often forget to make a hole somewhere else for air to get in, fitting a fan on its own is almost useless, remember to create and opening to allow in air to replace the air being removed. A grill in the garage door, or leaving a window ajar does the trick.

It's the residual moisture hanging around that does the damage.

A dehumidifier would be your best friend in this situation, just plug it in on one of those timer clock plug thingies and make sure you remember to empty the water out.

Alan Mudd

Reply to
Alan Mudd

"Alan Mudd" wrote in news:bvan5c$8fu$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com:

Quite right. Nothing worse than coming home to find the entire garage has collapsed into shrink-wrap around the Landie - not to mention the risk of having all your clothes ripped off by the gale as you open the door.

If you're one of the lucky few with a small gap under the garage door, ignore the above.

Reply to
erwrwe

It was with a sense of irony that I posted the reply, this obviously went over your head.

Next time I'll make it more obvious for the humour challenged amoung us....

Reply to
Alan Mudd

There's worse.

Park a motor on grass for a few months and watch it rot. As with in the garage it's the damp under it, then the evaporation etc when it's warm that kills it off.

Ed

A dehumidifier would be better than an extraction fan although as previously pointed out new, damp air comes under the garage door etc.

To reply, remove my appendix

Reply to
Ed