gas oddity

bit of a mix-and-match system on this one.

Italian tanks, OMVL90E vap, bigas switchover unit and CO.RE.GAS closed loop controller and, I assume, matching stepper motor.

The petrol system is not closed loop. It's had a single O2 sensor fitted on the exhaust. I tracked down some instructions for tuning the closed loop thing, and the diagnostic lights appear to behave as they should - richen the basic adjustement and it goes red, lean it down and it goes green, get it in the middle and it switches from red to green, which is what the destructions say it should do.

Gas system is fine up to about 3000 rpm on more or less full boot, then it shows signs increasing signs of not-enough-gas - exactly like they do when the gas is running low Back off and it goes back to running right. Below that it pulls well enough, more or less indistinguishable from petrol, above

3000 on petrol it continues to pull, but on gas it doesn't.

I'm going to look for obvious faults in a bit, but I'd welcome thoughts about what might cause it.

Had similar sypmtoms once before from a dodgy mixer - the inner part of which was misaligned, making the gas feed into the mixer have a permament restriction. That's one thing I'll be checking...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sounds about right to me - my first thought was too small a mixer fitted.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Tue, 12 Aug 2008 23:39:43 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

well, dunno about too small, but...

fitted a different one of the same size, more or less, and it goes much better.

not perfect, but a big improvement, it pulls better and will rev to over 4K now.

The one that came off it is 34mm dia but is of an odd design. It might be that it worked OK with the (presumed) Bedini vapouriser from the original system - presumed, 'cos I have a guarantee card for it. Someone has obviously replaced that and had the decency to put a good one (the OMVL) on instead :-)

OK, next question(s):

What's the recommended size for a 3.9, and

Has anyone got one such they'll part with (new or S/H) without breaking the bank.

It can stay with the one that's on it for now, which is I think 32 or 34 mm, it's the one off the 2.8 ford, which is not, sadly, likely to be required to run any time in the near future.

I now suspect the closed loop controller works OK.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

38mm according to the local LPG installer.
Reply to
EMB

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Had this on a Vectra - 'twas the filter clogged up.

Reply to
hugh

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:52:10 +0100, hugh wrote this gibberish:

Likewise on my Jag.

Reply to
MarkVarley - MVP