GAS coversions for DISCOs ???

Looking for info on the GAS conversions for 98-2000 ( S1+2 ) Discos...in Australia ( Melb to be precise )...

Advise on the types to go for...avoid

Price to expect to pay

Pros & Cons etc..

just looking at the way Discos are dropping in price here...obviously partly due to the rising fuel prices..... might be worth building in the cost of LPG on a purchase ????

cheers, Brian C

Reply to
Hi-Soft

I can recommend the Bigas system my '97Disco ES has fitted, starts on Petrol and the cuts over to gas when the engine temp reaches your chosen temp and in our case when rpm is 1600 (i.e. on acceleration). You don't notice the change over. The cockpit has a small switch with a push button, normally no need to touch this. It also houses the display of led's for the lpg level and shows either petrol or gas as the running fuel.

If you run out it beeps, you press it to silence it and automatically you are on petrol. Refil and press button and once rpm and temp is as set then you go to gas. Temp and RPM can be set by the installer. The system is an injection system i it's self so can be mapped accordingly on a rolling road for peak efficency. If for any reason you want to run on petrol then on epress of the button and you are sorted, no cahnce in engine note or power that I've noticed unless towing a very large caravan up hill or doing some very scary overtakes.

On one overtake in France the system automatically jumped to Petrol due to the RPM being so high, This has been addressed since as I was trying to dodge arouund a cyclist at the time and the "bleep bleep" as it changed over was rather startling given the engine kicked down to around 3500 to 4000 rpm. A quick tinkle on the computer when we got home (by the local LPG place) sorted this so it won't happen again.

Also the engine will run when the system is down. In our case a short circut due to the + from the coil dropping across the RPM wire. We had overtaken several trucks and the wind bufet had dislodged a wire which I think I must have loosened during my pre holiday oil change (ht lead disconnected to get the oil around the engine before firing up).

Other setups allow you to run immediately from gas but if you live anywhere cold then I would not recommend these as the tickovercan be lumpy until it's warmed up.

Just my 2p worth. I'm in the UK. Bigas are based in Itally.

Only downside to the Bigas system is that you need 2 vaporisors as they couldn't get one to run right (yet others can!) and the injectors can be a bitch to set up again if you give them the annual flush through with carb cleaner.

not a clue about prices, ours was fitted by the previous keeper who also happened to be an LPG installer.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Do you mean you have two vaporisers under the bonnet? I am just about to fit an lpg conversion to my Disco using Bigas M84 vaporiser, having spent the cash I don't need my wavering confidence dented at the moment!

Les

Reply to
Dadio

Yes, Those Bigas use are incapable of providing the right amount of fuel. I think they have now started to use a vaporisor which is two vaporisors bolted together, sandwiched if you like. This may be what you have. When Mrs D get home later ron I'll check to see what model ours our.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I've got a Prins Vsi multipoint on my series II disco, and it has been faultless so far (14 months, about 10k miles). A single vaporiser provides gas to 2 banks of 4 injectors drilled in to the 8 inlent manifold tubes. Plenty of additional electrics (1 small box for each injector bank + another biggie with a 2cm think bundle of cables coming out!), but it just works. Switches automatically to gas on engine temp (after about 1 mile from cold) and I don't really notice it is there. Consumption on gas is averaging just under 15mpg.

Cost was around £2200 fitted - including 2 x 40 litre tanks replacing existing petrol tank, and a new 30l petrol tank fitted in rear wing.

Hope that helps

Simon

Reply to
Simon

That sounds like a great unit...but wow expensive...for us ozzies anyway... that's like over AU $5000 !!!!! ...and I reckong if that same one ids available down here... it would be even more expensive again.. :(

Reply to
Hi-Soft