grating noise

Hi chaps hope some one can shed some light

Def 90 300tdi on over run once the landy has warmed up a bit, I seem to get a grating noise, almost as if there is something loose in the gearbox, this only is noticeable at speed, anyone any idea where to start looking?

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie Morgan

Prop UJ's?

Reply to
Nige

thanks nige thats where a mate suggested makes sense as its got a 2in lift

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie Morgan

Seconded, just had it myself, and very easy to check. Just get a large screwdriver and jack one wheel up, chock the others to stop it squishing you, and put it in neutral with diff-lock off. This'll allow you to turn the prop and see if there's any play in the UJ. Use the screwdriver to give it some beef if you can't see anything. Then repeat with a wheel on the other axle.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Or splines in the prop... sounds like the infamous 101 rumble.... ah memories.

:-)

Reply to
Lee_D

Thirded

If its crunching, there will be enough vertical/horrizontal play to notice it with all wheels on the floor - just dont put the handbrake on when you check.

They are easy to do -

Things needed

Hammer Bigger Hammer Vice Large Socket Small socket that is about the same size as the cups.

And a decent circlip tool.

Make sure that when you take the new ones out of the bags, you are very careful of the needle bearings inside the new cups.

Its worth getting new uj's that are half decent (Hardy Splicer) as they take a hell of a beating!

Oh, and dont over fill them with grease as the rubber seals will only come off and they will break.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

If they are loose, "glue" them in with a smear of grease before assembly. Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Thanks chaps, we got under it yesterday and looks like there is alot of play/backlash thoughout the transmission. from diffs to gearbox, looks like it could be expensive!

Thanks again Eddie

Reply to
Eddie Morgan

Well, generally there is, so don't fret too much, I'm amazed at what's normal on my landy, the pinzgauer is like a swiss watch.

Check the props for play, any play in them is likely to be the cause of your problem, but you can easily get up to quarter of a turn of a wheel in end-to-end play from the drivetrain according to a local dealer.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

£1 coin just the right size to use as a press of a big f*ck off vice for those of us without hydraulic presses at home. And whats more you can spend it afterwards on a tinny to celebrate! :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D