Greenpeace at it again ;-)

Check this out... From the BBC website:-

A number of Greenpeace protestors have entered a UK Land Rover factory and disrupted production at the plant.

The environmental action group says 35 of its members breached security at the plant at Solihull in the West Midlands.

Greenpeace says the action is in protest at what is claims are the "climate wrecking" emissions from Range Rovers, Land Rover's premium model.

Land Rover confirmed the incident had taken place but said only a "small part" of the plant had been affected.

Ho ho...

David.

Defender 110 CSW.

Reply to
David Sillitoe.

Retards, what the hell will this do for the cause?

Reply to
/\/ / & E

Given the Greenlane article later it could just swing public imagination against 4x4s when it all hits the news.

What are the Rangie figures and how does it compare to other green vehicles??

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

They make me puke this type of gobshite, just as usual, a new cause to fight.

Not exactly apples for apples though. lets just see what happens.

Reply to
/\/ / & E

Reply to
dale hammond

"dale hammond" schreef in bericht news:d69ufn$37t$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com

Sea-going vessels' emissions are not regulated in any way. These vessels are responsible for one-third (!) of the air pollution worldwide.

Reply to
aghasee

I think it's fairly safe to say that the Rainbow Warrior creates absolutely NO harmful emissions...

Reply to
Mother

Even when lying on the bottom of a harbour with a hole in its side?

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Don't s'pose anyone'd consider that Greenpeace may actually have an ickle bit of a valid point here, eh?

Reply to
Mother

"Mother" wrote>

No none at all, they are just yobs out to have fun paid for by the gullible.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

In article , aghasee writes

The suggestion that shipping creates one third of world air pollution comes from the same idiot sources that think any kind of concern for man made carbon emissions is some kind of pinko liberal plot to destroy society. These red necked morons make the inbreds, as portrayed in the film Deliverance, seem intelligent. Per tonne mile, diesel ships are actually the most energy efficient powered vehicles.

The Rainbow Warrior is actually one of the cleanest powered vessels in the world. Not only is she equipped with sophisticated anti pollution and oil recycling systems and one of the most thermally efficient engines in the world, she is also equipped with a two masted sailing rig. Most of the time on ocean voyages she proceeds under sail. Not to be confused with the crass hot air of male bovine manure.

One of the ironic things about Land rovers is that they are greener than most other cars. I understand that it would take most cars about 30 years of motoring to equal the carbon emissions produced during its own manufacture. Since the average life span of the average private car is allegedly only eleven years and that of the average Land Rover is more than twice as long, the Land Rover should be at the top of the green 'brigades' list of favourite vehicles. Furthermore, in terms of global impact, diesels are nearly twice as 'earth friendly' as petrols.

John Lubran

Reply to
Moving Vision

I think the problem is that these Greenpeace people are singling LR out amongst many... That's tokenistic and just plain stupid. Sadly it also smacks of the politics of envy, something they seen to know plenty about.

Btw, what the f*ck is 'ickle'?

Reply to
David Sillitoe.

And you have empirical evidence to support this assertion?

Reply to
Mother

Used to come into contact with this type of nutter at Uni years ago. Good whilst it's the cred thing to do; wait until one of them or their family need the results ( eg drugs from research or rescue by said vehicle ) that certainly sorts out the Saturday warriors from the real concerned end of the population.

Used to know the guy who is now head of the police complaints authority; I wonder what Sunday tabloids pay these days ? :-))

Reply to
Hirsty's

There was a program on tv not long ago that claimed that air traffic produced a large amount of it too (much moe than cars)

Does/is tax on aviation fuel go/going up at the same rates as car fuel? (doesnt look like it from the decreasing cost of flights!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

They do have some valid points at times, but it does seem like there could be better targets to direct the protesting at.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Exactly... Like aircraft and the proliferation of airports for example.

Reply to
David Sillitoe.

Like the roughly £12 million spent annually ferrying government ministers and senior civil servants around. It's our money, of course, so that probably doesn't count.

Reply to
Dougal

so Tom Woods was, like...

Er - I don't think they pay tax on aviation fuel. Bit of a pisser, really. And yes, air traffic causes more air pollution than all the cars in the world, and of course it's delivered right up there where it can do the most damage. But hey, we wouldn't want to lose our cheap air fares to Ibiza, now would we?*

Anyone serious about cutting pollution would look at taxing aviation fuel first, and only look at the minor contribution made by cars when that had been brought under control.

*Speaking as someone who would rather walk any distance than board an aircraft :-)
Reply to
Richard Brookman

"Moving Vision" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@movingvision.demon.co.uk

The most energy efficient powered vehicles per tonne per mile, true, but still they aren't emissions regulated *and* they do pollute as hell. Fuel consumption is expressed in metric tonnes per hour on these carriers, you know.

Major bullshit. See comment above.

Agreed.

Again major bullshit. Diesels just pollute in other areas, not less.

Reply to
aghasee