How to appoint a new Disco?

I'm going to lease a new SE or SE7 this summer - will purchase at end of term:

1) Is this a good time to lease?

2) What dealer options and features should I get up front?

3) What after-market features should I plan for/around (suspension, etc)?

4) I've had by VW GTI for seven years - will the Disco last ten?

Thank you so much

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Bishop

Depends where you live and what the rates are.

Depends what you will use the vehicle for.

See point made above.

My 1997 Disco is like new so I can't see why not.

My pleasure.

Reply to
Exit

New model late 04 / early 05, but the current Disco is a fine machine, if it suits your requirements. Much better than the plastic Japanese rubbish, particularly if you want to run it 10 years.

With interest rates as they are, this is a good time to lease. Unless you have a mass of cash sitting around, there is little point using capital to buy a car.

If you don't plan to off-road it, you should need much after market stuff. If you are keeping the car ten years it doesn't matter what spec you get - it will be worth little after 10 years, so a duff colour or unusual spec won't hurt you financially on resale value - just get what you want! Doesn't make much difference on a lease if you load it up.

Shop around and drive a very hard bargain. You can sometimes nick a few more quid by buying on the last day or two of the month, if the dealer is desperate for targets. You might do well at the end of August or at the end of September - September is the new plate and a key month for the trade.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

I thought you didn't know where I lived or what the rates were ;-)

Depends where you live and what the rates are.

Reply to
Mike Bishop

Thanks Tim

I plan lots of off-roading and many excursions to out-of-the-way Canadian locals that I wouldn't dream of doing in anything less than a Land Rover - I will keep my Golf for city and single-person travel

I was just looking for ideas as to what goodies to add on to the lease, since I plan on adding lots as my budget allows over the months/years

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Bishop

Hi Mike,

Well, here's what a bog-standard 8 year old V8 can manage, with four on board and BF Goodrich Long Trail road tyres. It did develop a minor misfire, cured by a bit of revving and a quiet 5 minutes queuing for the lake...

This has got me thinking...

2 inch lift, bigger wheels, lose the towbar and plastic bits, add diff-guard (which I just happen to have bought today!), possibly a snorkel for safety and let the old girl get old disgracefully!

I was pulled out of the mud-run on Saturday after following the marshall's 'keep left' advice. I didn't even get into the pit, so no picture! So today I dropped straight into the gloop and drove right through.

Ground clearance was the biggest problem on the off-road course, particularly dropping the towbar on exit from downslopes. I've had this problem before, but usually I've been a bit more cautious committing to big slopes and deep water than I was this weekend. The disappointment of not having the 101 there made me all the more determined to get some mud on the Discovery!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Nice, v. nice - that's what I want to see!

Mike Bishop

If you plan on offroading a little, the tires that come standard are poo. Switch the tires with BFG all terrain TA KO's or similar. I use my Disco in the bush all the time (Western Canada) for my consulting work and its great! Tires make a huge difference. Other than that they come nicely equipped. I see your Golf staying in the garage where it belongs :o)

Reply to
Amphora