Hanbrake cable ...

As you might have gathered I've had a fit of passion and decided the old dear needs sprucing up a bit. ('96/'97 300 Tdi Disco 3 door) and reckon I need to tighten the handbrake cable (It's also due for an MOT in a month or so) ... so again, how hard is this to do?

I've seen the 'supposed' cable adjuster knurled (hah!, is it bollocks knurled or even turnable) nut under the centre console, but it doesn't turn. Will it be OK to simply tighten the shoes from the backplate? I can't see why not and indeed it seems the only way to do the job without taking everything apart.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

You might need to do both.

Adjust first at the backplate - but don't go too far or you'll get the symptoms reported here recently. If you then decide that the lever movement is too great, adjust the cable.

Reply to
Dougal

Cheers for that.

Now, and this might sound like a feckin' stupid question ... which way to turn the 'adjuster' to tighten the cable? It's unclear in Haynes BoL and I haven't found my Rave CD since moving the PC.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

It is rather! How about trial and error.

Reply to
Dougal

My skinned knuckles are testament to the trials and many errors, the damn adjuster just won't move. I'm hoping that when I tighten the shoes it'll free off ... though I might end up taking the centre console out.

Fat hands, I guess ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Sorted.

Lever movement was already far too far, about 9 clicks, so decided to just do the cable adjustment, it being inside in the dry.

So, no chance of getting hands in, then swmbo came out to see what I was screaming at ... then suggested the cure, a long flat-bladed screwdriver and push the adjuster round from the passengers seat side. Worked like a dream. well a bad dream, and now we have a handbrake which should pass for reasonable.

By the way, to tighten the cable, the adjuster must turn anti-clockwise when viewed from above.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

then swmbo came out to see what I was

Am I the only one that finds that even more annoying?

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Nope.

What's even more annoying is that she knows next to f*ck-all about anything mechanical and I'm a feckin' (ex) production/mechanical engineer!!!

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Say no more!!

Reply to
GbH

GbH farted out

Heh ... I was trying to do it 'properly' .. the manuals say it should be finger tight, is it hell finger tight, unless you have fingers the size of a small elf's with the strength of a Schwarzenegger in them.

Reply to
Paul - xxx