300tdi Disco snorkel

Any recommendations?

Cheap is very good.

Reply to
Nige

B&Q if you want cheap.. Seen one or two at pay 'n' play days, made from drainpipe!

I like the safari snorkels, but they're around the £130 mark. One piece and the disco ones don't stick out from the side too much.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Will i have to chop a big hole in the wing?

Reply to
Nige

No idea as I don't have a disco, but the safari page should tell you, once you select the right model;

You'll have to drill some holes no mater what one you get but you do get templates to follow, or at least I got some with mine so no pesky measuring. On the Defender there's an air intake through the wing already so no need to cut a large air hole, don't know if that's the case on your disco.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Sorry to hi-jack the thread a tad, but looking at that picture of the Safari snorkel [1] shows no provision for an air filter. Is that right? I'd be a tad concerned about thet if I were to fit one, or is it simply far enough 'out the way' to not really need one?.

[1] I've not read anything about it so maybe the answers there somewhere!
Reply to
Paul - xxx

They connect to the existing filter box

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Right ... just looked a tad 'off' to me for that.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

It did me too Paul, in fact it is off if you ask me, the airbox is further towards the front?

Reply to
Nige

Yup, and has a square top, with the airbox intake towards the front and lower down ... which would need a blanking pulg, or totally different airbox lower half..

'course, they could just be using a generic Disco drawing. I believe the

200Tdi airbox is round, so maybe it's just the drawing that's not absolutely correct for the 300 TdI Disco and they _do_ supply the right bits..

Worth checking further, anyway, I reckon.

Just reading back what I wrote and thought ... I wonder if there's any mileage in re-routing the airbox inlet only, up a bit and opening in the engine bay. That'd get an extra 6" wading depth, with a good idea of _exactly_ how deep you can go. Have to have a look in a bit, Just finished putting new brake pads in and an hour or two's fettling ... and the Tour de France starts in a bit ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Neatest fit on the 300tdi is the mantec one

though!

Reply to
Andy

Thats an interesting thought I would guess fitting baffles would be a must though as once water is around the bottom pulley the bay is going to be full of spray with a quantity also coming in through the wheel arch holes ( and for most Discos the rust holes in the inner wings ) and for the really brave when the water coming in through the Rad hits the fan is going to add to the buggeration- all theoretical as I have no intention of sitting on the engine bay to check while Vicky drives Kato blind through deep water one for the waterproof cameras I reckon. Derek

Reply to
Derek

I've just come back from an off-road site where someone had B&Qed a snorkel onto his 200TDi disco but he's now putting a second-hand safari on there, he's got safaris on his other trucks.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings