Nissan Micra Handbrake

I've got an old J-reg (old shape) Micra with a handbrake I can't get keen enough.

I've just replaced the cables (all three) and the rear shoes, adjusted everything right up before connecting the handbrake adjuster but I still need to fully tighten the adjuster before it's anywhere near decent!

It looks like the primary handbrake cable is too long - it has over 1" of travel before it even starts to move the mechanism, but the replacement cable was actually slightly shorter than the one I took off.

Anybody know what I'm missing ?

Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
Andy Fiddaman

"Tom Burton" mumbled:

Ah, the joys of percussive maintenance!

Reply to
Guy King

Yep, always give brakes a good bashing to make sure they're settled in... ;)

This problem is really starting to bother me as I really can't see anything that's wrong. I've had the complete system apart three times now and can guarantee that everything (that should be!) is greased and free moving. It's got new shoes which are adjusted up as far as they can be - (unfortunately the Micra doesn't have bolt holes so I can tweak it up any more with a screwdriver).

The handbrake is fairly decent now but that's with everything at completely full adjustment so I've got nothing for that first time it goes into a garage and the mechanic stretches the cables - or for when the spring works out of the new cables.

I'm thinking of using a couple of old nuts with a cut through one flat as spacers to shorten the primary cable - that'll work but it shouldn't be necessary with all new components.

I'm either missing something bleeding obvious, or the whole design of the system is flawed. Give me back my escort - I've never seen a better brake adjustment system..

Andy

Reply to
Andy Fiddaman