Happy bunny - a 'thank you'

Hi all

Happy Bunny here..... finally got around to finishing the head gasket replacement on the RR after two weeks of rushing out between showers and dusk (mental note - buy a house with a GARAGE next time).

Thanks to all that gave me advice on what to do, and not to do, for the job. End result is that my V6 is, once again, a V8 and no longer pours steam out of the exhaust. You can get a stuck rotor arm off the dizzy shaft by clamping it judiciously in a vice - mole grips are not man enough.

Big downers were: water temperature sensor finally decided to lose the male connection that has been threatening to fall off for four years - new ones are cheap but what a poxy place to have to get to with a spanner. I (again) managed to get the dizzy back in 180 degrees out but, having previously done this countless times, fixed it in a jiffy. For the first time I managed to get the timing gun wires wrapped around one of the pulleys - I think I got the timing set about right but I need a new gun :-(

Not for the first time - just how much better is the design on a 3.9 over the 3.5? The 3.5 EFi is plainly evolved from the earlier ones I have owned but, frankly, it is patently obvious where they have cobbled on the extra bits and it makes the whole thing a monumental pain in the glass to work on - did they design out the fiddley bits on a 3.9 or is it just as bad?

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme