A Thank You...

Just a note of thanks to all the people in this group such as Speedy Jim for helping me out. You haven't heard from me in a while...'cause I got the dang thing to purr!

I had an idle problem on my 75 SB converted to pict34 carb. Fast story is that I got a new carb and it is purring like a kitten.

Long story is that I did a tune-up...still died at a stop...took apart carb and 'cleaned' it up several times...blew compressed air in all the ports...replaced the idle mixture screw (it was missing the rubber O-ring...sprayed the outside with WD-40 as per SJ's suggestion to try to find out air leak...sprayed carb cleaner to burn off grunge (nice looking white smoke) during my son's soccer practice (parents thought my car was on fire in the parking lot)...took apart and cleaned up dizzy (ball bearing was pitted and I couldn't suck and move the plate very well--still can't)...still wouldn't idle.

Bought Kafer(sp?) carb from cip1 only to find that gas was leaking at the throttle bushing immediately (owner said "oh yeah, heard of that unit's problem before," and offered the Brosal upon exchange...finally installed Brosal carb and it sounded great...except when first running it would almost die at a very low idle for the first two minutes then would run great...after reading another one of SJ's great concise replies to another similar post figured it must be the points...sure enough, there was no gap. Re-gapped to .016 and now my idle is grrreaatt! Took 3-4 months to figure out, but I'm not exactly a mechanically-minded brainiac...but I must say, I'm getting better.

Met an old timer at an old car ralley (or at least 'meet in the parking lot with a bunch of other old cars') and told him that I learn virtually through this newsgroup as well as a few books I have (Idiot's guide, Bentley). He doesn't have Internet access so relies on the local Capital City VW Club here in Ottawa, Canada to get info.

Anyway, a feel good story for a Friday.

Tom

Reply to
Bugzai