hard steering in 95 discovery

My wife is complaining about the steering in her 95 discovery, usually it is ok but from time to time (usually in a crowded parking lot) it is

*extremely* hard. Until recently it had never happened while I was driving it, so I was passing it off as her just not being used to it, but the other day I was turning out of a parking space at a virtual crawl and noticed it was very hard to steer and noisier than usual. Is this normal behaviour for a disco? The fluid level is ok as is the belt tension.

tia

Reply to
Glen A Stromquist

Sticky relief valve in the pump from your description. Take the valve apart & polish the shuttle gentle with a bit of superfine (1200 grit) carborundum paper, clean carefully & reassemble.

Reply to
EMB

thanks!

Is this hard to do? never bothered to take a steering pump apart before..

I did purchase a factory cd for the disco from ebay awhile back, would that have the neccesary instructions?

Reply to
Glen A Stromquist

That reminds me.

While driving around in torrential rain t'other night, I noticed a problem with the steering - it seemed as the "power" part of "power steering" stopped working. It happened occasionally, and mostly when I went through a patch of deeper than usual water. I'm assuming this was somethign like water getting on the belt and it slipping...is this correct?

Mind you, one good thing - there were a few puddles deep enough to practice my "bow wave" technique. Wading in central London...now there's an interesting experience[1]! :)

Cheers, Aled.

[1] Particularly when you get sports cars shooting past you as you trundle along in 2nd through the water. You can watch and laugh as they suddenly aquaplane at about 40mph while you trundle along quietly with clean trousers. :)
Reply to
Aled

Sorry, I've never had a Disco pump apart (but have done plenty of other types). They're all pretty much the same. If you can find a diagram you are looking for a shuttle valve with a spring behind it. It will either be under a large bolt, or in behind the outlet connector (which will unscrew to allow access) if it's anything like pretty much all the other pumps. Best way to get the shuttle out is with a magnet.

Reply to
EMB

In article , Glen A Stromquist writes

Check you have fluid in the system.

Try WD40 followed by spray grease on the steering column UJ's under the bonnet. Some times these get a bit stiff giving lumpy steering.

Reply to
marc

On or around Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:39:51 +0100, Aled enlightened us thusly:

Probably. check belt condition and tension.

Reply to
Austin Shackles