hard drive in car raidio?

Posted to rec.autos.tech and alt.comp.hardware.

I was trying to look up info about a friend's car radio with usb input, and I came across these two pages, which have similar info:

Do these car raidos really have a hard drive, or do they mean an internal flash drive, functioning as a hard drive? I know my car bounces around a lot. (Well, maybe it's me, but I like to blame the car.)

|lang_es|lang_en
|lang_es|lang_en Hard Disc Drive Operation Copy Complete Audio Disc To Hard-Drive

Press the OPEN/CLOSE hard-key and insert a disc, then press the MENU hard-key. Touch the MY FILES soft-key, then select MY MUSIC. Touch the IMPORT MUSIC soft-key, then touch the FROM DISC soft-key in the next screen to start the process.

Copying From USB

Insert a USB device, then select MY MUSIC. Touch the IMPORT MUSIC FILES soft-key, then touch the FROM USB soft-key in the next screen. Select the folders or titles you would like to copy, then touch the DONE soft-key to start the copy process.

Copy Pictures To The Hard-Drive

Insert either a CD or a USB device containing your pictures. Touch the MY FILES soft-key, then go to the MANAGE MY FILES screen. Touch the MY PICTURES soft-key to get an overview of the currently stored images. Touch one of the ADD PICTURES soft-keys, then select the type of media inserted. Use the PAGE soft-keys to page through a list of pictures and press the picture you would like to import. Confirm your selection by touching the YES soft-key. The imported picture is now available in the MANAGE MY PICTURES screen. In order to display the imported picture in the radio screen, touch the desired picture soft-key. Select this picture by pressing the PICTURE VIEW soft-key. A checkmark indicates the currently used picture.

AND WHY DO YOU NEED TO STORE PICTURES IN YOUR CAR RADIO? SHOULDN'T IT STORE SOUNDS?

And aren't people going to crash when they do all this while driving?

Reply to
micky

Some GM cars have hard drives. They work like a DVR.

Buick had a TV commercial awhile back hyping their 40MB drive.

Reed

Wow, that's amazing. Although couldn't they just put in an 8 gig flash drive instread, 200 times as big. I know flash dirives wear out, or used to, so they could make it a replaceable part. Hard drives wear out too, even if they don't crash from going over bumpy roads.

Thanks.

This says it records 20 minutes. However 20 minutes is not enough. I woudl want 55, because sometimes I listed to the first part of an hour show, usually on NPR, and want to record the rest. Usually that's only 20 or 40 minutes but it could be 55.

**I learned today that talk raido takes about 500K/minute, and mustic several times as much, but they may have only one sampling rate.

I've actually wanted this for decades, and I wanted casette decks in cars to akso recird what was on the radio. It would have been easy enough, but I shopped and never found someone who made it.

JCWhitney did sell a dual cassette car radio, which I thought was as stupid as saving pictures in current car radios. Someone is going to save his tape copying until he's in the car!! He won't leave his blank tapes at home, etc. . I'm sure one deck recorded, but it didn't actually say it would record off the radio, and certainly not that it had a timer that would record after the car was turned off. Plus it had no station buttons etc, so much space was used for the second deck.

NPR makes some little device that you click on,, and it saves the time you want to start playing when you get to a compute, from which it figures out the name of the program, but it only saves two times, and you could just write down the program and the time, plus you have to contribute a lot of money to get one.

Reply to
micky

Me too, but I bet some people will ignore us.

No but that's a lot simpler than than the procedures snipped. :)

Reply to
micky