Hard time filling gas

Hi all,

Just picked up a 1998 discovery,

was at the gas station and I was not able to add gas.

It was almost on empty, light was on, but when I was filling up, the pump will stop like it was full and I was topping off. air was coming out of the fill hole, I had to add about 1/4 to 1/3 gallon, stop and try again, was able to get 3 gallons in before I gave up, enough to continue my trip

any ideas???

many thanks

Reply to
blackberg

Faulty fuel gauge or sender?

Reply to
tiscali

It's just a knackered pump at the "gas" station. If he's not come across this before then he can't have been driving for long. Just move to a different pump.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Or partially withdraw the nozzle or not pull the trigger fully.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Err yep sorry, I have to do that every time I fill the pinz so don't know why I didn't put that in! In fact I have to do both, and that's with petrol, not diesel, on every pump I've ever filled it on :-/

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Gauge actually went up when I was able to put some gas in.

I tried 2 differnt pumps, same thing, someone got to the pump I had been using and had no trouble

I even tried to pull back on the nozle and put the tip of the nozzle in, like filling up a gas can, and that helped a bit but same problem

I had driven this disco before with no problem that I can remember off. Just started to drive it again and it was on empty, so I stoped at the nearest station and ran into this problem

thanks for the suggestions

Reply to
blackberg

I had similar problem on a Rena**t Senic we used to have, you could never fill up with the pump on full power, you always had to just gently squeeze the trigger to reduce the flow rate otherwise it would shut off. A real pain as it took ages to fill up. Never looked into it, and now sold!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Sounds like air lock to me! We had a Subaru which was terrible for it, try bouncing the car up and down on the back bumper while your flilling her up! (just a suggestion!!!) - could look quite strange at the filling station doing that!

Reply to
Max.Revitt

Scenic must have a small tank, I've twice had the pump time out when filling my DII at full trigger...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice