Harmonic steering wobble

On or around Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:53:09 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

I'm guessing it needs a damper because somewhere along the line they screwed up the design of the front suspension.

However, unlike the series motors, the damper is not optional on the coilers, every one I've had suffers with this and it often seems to be the damper.

The one I took off the Rangie was an Allmakes one, wasn't dead, but obviosuly didn't damp enough.

other things which had a lesser effect were also worn in the steering, and when I first had it, better front tyres made a differnce.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 9 Dec 2009 21:24:13 -0000, "johnty" enlightened us thusly:

the series motors, AFAIK were fitted to take a damper as an optional extra, I believe it's about controlling the tendency to remove your thumbs off-road. The relay does indeed have some damping effect as well, but the coil-spring ones don't have that of course.

Notwithstanding the heavy duty rods, I'd still want the damper fitted. I thought the damper fitting on the DII rod was clamped onto the rod, but I may be wrong.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The relay unit on the series models provided some damping and that device isn't fitted on the coilers - I guess that's why the external unit was then fitted as standard.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:19:25 +0000, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

sadly not, I had one of a set of 4 suspension dampers that was way softer than the others.

The steering damper doesn't have to be dead, just softer than it should be. If there's another fault on mine, then both I and the MOT have, as yet, failed to find it.

I've a theory that, LR being what they are, some of the coiler chassis are more prone to this than others.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Certainly larger, heavier wheels/tyres are bound to be more prone to have 'issues'. On a SWB Series with 7.50 XYs I needed the damper to deal with potholes which were not a serious problem with 6.50 crossplies.

Reply to
Dougal

"Austin Shackles" wrote

I feel the same about sitting/lying on the ground trying to sort out the suspension, looking for faults that the recent MOT didn't pick up on when it's near freezing. Unfortunately I have no garage to work on the 90 in.

Went out in it today, didn't have much choice having to cross a muddy field, kept below 35mph on the road and no problems at all but it's got to be fixed permanently soon. I've actually got a bag full of Polybushes that came with the vehicle, and whilst I know a lot of owners don't like them I have not got the tools/press to fit the OEM ones, so if I find it's the bushes they will have to do.

At least I proved that two brand new Britpart dynamic steering dampers are neither as effective as a 50,000 mile OEM one, whether there is another problem or not. So no matter what I find with the suspension I will have to get an OEM damper anyway to feel safe.

Reply to
Bob Hobden