Help please - fuel gauge not working.

Hate to have to ask everyone, however, I am at a loss as to what is going wrong with my fuel gauge and wonder if anyone would kindly help.

The vehicle is a 1984 110 with 2.5 TD (19J). Symptons are:

1 Gauge registers full when tank is full 2 At 3/4 full the gauge registers less than half a tank 3 At 1/2 full registers no fuel at all. Then the funny stuff happens. The gauge keeps going down to the left, off the scale, until the tank is virtually dry when it goes back up to the normal empty position.

I have checked all the connections for connectivity. Also, I have dropped the tank out and checked the sender unit, which seems to be fine. The only thing I haven't checked is the gauge itself or the ballast resistor which is lurking in the wiring somewhere, but I don't think the answer is with those two.

Look forward to receiving your replies before I run out of diesel on a motorway. Cheers, jase.

Reply to
Jason

Mine sometimes does and most times does not, I have lernt to do without it and to keep on topping up,

Don't forget the jerrycan.

Reply to
Larry

The only way to check this for sure would be to remove it from the vehicle, but I suspect hysteresis (damping) has failed, probably due to some or many of the turns of wire that the wiper moves over having become damaged (worn out).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:16:01 GMT, "Jason" enlightened us thusly:

I reckon it's yer sender unit, even so. You can try testing it with an ohm-meter - move the arm slowly from end to end and watch the resistance; it should go from low to high (full-empty) in a smooth steady manner. The 110 one on the tank I took off mine went from about 0-360 ohms, ISTR.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'd go back and check the sender again, I had similar problems and fettled/tightened the arms of the resistor and solved it. I think your sender is different to mine but might just be worth another look.

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair

Thanks for the pointers, especially about the resistance readings from the sender unit. As soon as I get a free afternoon I will be going back to the sender unit again, or may just buy another one for a few quid and see what happens when I fit it in. As for the jerry cans, I have currently got 4 all filled to the brim.

Cheers guys, Jase

Reply to
Jason