Help with that petition

I tried on numerous occasions to sign the road pricing petition before it ended - on two different computers. Never received the confirmation Email. Is this a common problem? If so, there could have been millions more signatories that never got through.

Reply to
Peter Caplen

In news:45e9664f snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com, Peter Caplen wibbled :

I think it only accepts one submission per email address, so if you didn't get a response, TS, it might have been while the server was down/overwhelmed. So you might be right, re: failed attempts.

Reply to
GbH

I still haven't received my e-mail from Tone despite everything else appearing to have worked as expected. So was I counted or not? We'll never know.

Reply to
Dougal

Well, we know the likelyhood of A Bliar taking a blind bit of notice is as rare as running your landie on Rocking Horse doo dah!

Don't you just love democracy?

Reply to
GbH

It appears to me that Tony has realised that petitions direct to number 10 wasn't one of his better ideas and has now found a way of throttling (broadband terminology) the number of dissidents from complaining. My family's signatures were similarly not registered.

(OT) I had the same problem when trying to subscribe to the SayNoTo0870 petition flagged up in The Money Saving Expert's newsletter. I notified both sites about the problem because I believe that the public need to be made aware of this deceitful action. It's definitely a "number 10" issue and not congestion because I used different computers at numerous times of the day and night.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

I've seen a number of these petitions sent around with a bunch of random-looking numbers and letters at the end of the URL -- this is an error on the part of the person sending the link as they've sent the confirmation link rather than the URL to the actual petition. Clicking on this would just take you to the petition with a banner saying "thank you for signing" but won't ask you for your contact details. If you've had one of these then you've not signed at all, you've just re-confirmed the other person's signing.

So if anyone sees a petition link emailed around, it shouldn't end in random letters, if it does, strip them off to get the proper link and notify the poster of the mistake.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Thanks for posting the additional info Ian.

(Pity it wasn't applicable in my case otherwise I would have got round that little problem!)

Fred

Reply to
Fred

On or around Sun, 4 Mar 2007 16:34:28 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

and on UKRM

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Mind you, you have to admire his balls!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

yep, they're on a scale with all the bullsh** he produces.

Lizzy Taylor

Unless he really believes himself (which I suspect he does)...

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I don't think he's dumb enough to do that!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

No, he just counts on sufficient of the electorate being dumb enough to believe him, and so far he has been right :(

Lizzy Taylor

I think to be honest it's more a lack of credible alternatives. I think this whole Big Brother trip they're on at the moment is going to do for them as almost anyone has to be better. Prior to their goose-stepping, the other parties weren't even remotely electable but Labour have dropped the bar to the ground with a massively unpopular war, and they are now knobbling the Freedom of Information legislation that they themselves introduced, beginning to fingerprint kids in schools without even telling parents let alone asking them for permission, requiring long, intrusive and inconvenient interviews plus photos and fingerprints for new passport applicants, planning to introduce the ID cards, pushing DNA databases far further than any country and using comparison techniques that no other country wants to use, the list goes on for pages. ID card enrolement sites are being built all over the country, people like the no2id lot are uncovering them through devious means and publishing the details so people can object locally.

Much of what they are putting into place is a chief constable's wet dream, and a nightmare for everyone else. The "nothing to hide" lobby seem to forget that it's not them who decide what is or isn't wrong, it's faceless beaurocrats with their own agendas and careers in mind. Hardly any of the goose-stepping appears to be needed, the Irish terrorists were more effective than a few comedy exploding muslims and we didn't need roadside spy cameras and GPS systems tracking our cars to cope with them. The labour party are living in a nightmare society overrun with criminals while the rest of us aren't.

The tories in the meantime introduced the NERC bill (my own local MP in fact), and the lib dems want to tax anyone who isn't on benefits until they are on benefits, then slap a £1,000 tax on anyone driving a

4x4 in an effort to win some votes. Compared to Labour even these two comedy outfits are beginning to look attractive, as long as they come out against the goose-stepping in a believable manner.

Bring back screaming lord such, dead or not!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

No we don't.

Reply to
Rich B

On or around Mon, 5 Mar 2007 17:54:32 -0000, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

I think he's possibly the worst leader we've had, in modern times. I find it hard to think of anything he's done that I approve of.

as for who to vote for, if any of them come out with a definite promise to not only abandon the idea of replacing Trident but decommissioning all UK nukes they'll get my vote. I rather doubt any will, except greenpeace, of course.

ISTR Trident cost 9 billion, 20 years or more ago. I doubt the replacement would be less than about 10 times that, by the time you count that everyone on a project of that scale is on the make.

and yes, I'm a cynic. But I'm not so bloody hypocritical as to try to dictate to other countries that they shalt not have the Bomb, when we've got it and the yanks have about 10 times as many as the rest put together.

Reply to
Austin Shackles