SU carbs

I have V8 90 with SUY carbs on. It ticks over fine but as soon as I touch the throttle it dies, sometimes coughing back through the carb. I have just stripped down the left hand carb and found a couple of droplets of water in. Is this enough to cause the above? Thanks (nice way to spend xmas eve!) Richard

Reply to
Richard

I've just spent a good while outside getting the 110 closer to working again. Just need to bleed the brakes now and I'm there, I think. Couldn't get the nipples undone on the rear wheel cylinders so they're soaking in WD40 and I'll try again in the morning. All being well I'll then be able to drive the thing to my parents for Christmas dinner :)

So, you're not the only one ;)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

oops. SU not SUY !!!! must the petrol fumes or id the whisky. lol

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Was the float moving properly? Sounds like a problem I had when the float stuck to the bottom of the carb casting and wasn't letting enough fuel into the bowl (too much running on lpg, not enough on petrol :)

Where was this water?

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

Ooh, that might be why the 110 isn't interested in running on petrol on anything but level ground. Tried it off road the other week and every little incline it was coughing and spluttering like a goodun.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

The floats on both carbs appeared to be moving ok. I checked the float setting and that was ok too. I washed the carbs out with petrol and blew them through with an airline. It starts and revs ok but not tried on the road yet. The water was laying in the bottom of the bowl. Richard ps. only one carb had water in, the other was clear

Reply to
Richard

From the handbook for my 90. " Engine stalls on acceleration (V8 SU carbs).......Carburetter piston seized..... Polish piston and cylinder with dry or petrol-damp rag. Check that the correct oil is used in the dash-pot and top up to the required level." Alternatives are... Mixture control not working or badly adjusted....adjust; Insufficient fuel supply... clean needle valve and jets (also fuel filter); Air-cleaner element dirty.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Great, thank you very much. I have cleaned the carbs out, just need to road test now. Thanks again Richard (waiting for Santa to arrive!!!)

adjusted....adjust;

Reply to
Richard