Horse racing, tractors & LR's

Never get a close-up on telly of 90's which pull those horse racing starting gate thingies but they clearly have a fairly bare chassis behind the truck cab. Are they fitted with a lorry type 5th. wheel coupling or is it a simpler type of hitch? Big Case tractor drilling field behind us. Instead of wheels it had an individual triangular tracked arrangement on each corner, identical from distance to a Cuthbertson LR, except Case had rubber tracks. Steering was achieved because tractor was articulated. But, however did Cuthbertson LR's manage to steer? Thanks Alan

Reply to
mbqd64
5th wheel? yep! They used to (and still do I suppose) park up next to my old house when staying over night at Newcastle Racecourse.

-- JonW "When in danger, when in doubt Run in circles, scream and shout" RotR, Rule 8.g (amended)

Reply to
pl.white

In message , pl.white writes

Lots of them about. They are owned I believe by a company who provide the starting gate services to the racecourses ... I heard they used to use tractors at events then started using the specially built 5th wheelers at Newmarket and general use spread from there. I still don't understand why each racecourse has no starting gates of its own ... I mean, they don't import the grass or the rails so why the start?

Reply to
AndyG

the tracked rovers had power-steering. however it was a little fragile, if you turned the steering wheel when stationary or moving slowly you were likely to bend the steering rod.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor