Hot running V8

Greetings One and All

It's been a while - hope all is well in afl land.

The Land Rover (V8) has taken to running hot lately.

Symptoms ... Temp Guage just below 'red'. Pre-ignition. Header tank empties but I can't see where to.

Vehicle runs fine but I don't like to stress it.

Any clues to trouble-shooting appreciated.

Which brings me on to .... can anyone recommend a Land Rover mechanic in the Twickenham/Heathrow area - there's a couple of other minor niggles I'd like to sort before Christmas and time is running short.

Thanks for reading.

Reply to
William Tasso

Sounds a bit like a leaking head gasket to me. I'd start with a pressure test of the cooling system, and see if it's losing pressure, then if there's no signs of any external leaks it might be head off time.

Reply to
EMB

Ugh - could be I guess. Oil and exhaust appear to be satisfactory to my untrained eye.

how?

Which brings us nicely back to the search for a reliable mech.

Reply to
William Tasso

it could be the ignition timing has changed , get timing checked .

the pre igniting sounds like timing is out .

see below in case you have this problem occurred .

is the locking bolt for the distributor ok, check around the bolt hole boss to see if engine block casting is cracked at all , if it is get it cleaned up and ali mig welded, mine cracked here and i couldnt hold the distributor in place , you might think the bolt is holding it because it will tighten , but the only way to check is to actually look an see . i mig welded mine ok without removing anything, just put damp rags all around area and plenty water on them before welding .

Reply to
m0bcg

A simple check to see if a head gasket has gone, is to top up the radiator, leave the cap off, and start the engine. If the water in the radiator starts blowing bubbles, it's a bad thing.......

Brian NZ

Reply to
Brian

Unfortunately not all head gasket leaks actually blow out through the cooling system. But it's a good start.

Reply to
EMB

investigation reveals the water pump has gone west.

so, some Q's

o is this a 'L/R only' recommended or will pattern parts do? o any of the stockists represented here have such a thing? o or other recomended supliers? o any other jobs might as well do at the time? o + fan belt o + power steering belt o + bottom hose o anythg else I shoulc cnsider?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Reply to
William Tasso