how many heaters in a series

hiya,

due to all the gaps in my ageing body/work, there are more draughts than in toys r us.

ive got a standard series3 heater which is primarily the front windscreen demister,

then ive piped up a smiths flat heater on the rear bulkhead to warm the kid`s cockles.

and now im thinking of fitting another smiths flat heater on the bit above the transmision tunnel/below the center of the dash., piping it ups no problem, but will i run into problems associated with the water pumps ability to pump water sufficiently,

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Hi Andy,

AFAICS the pump isn't going to know any difference (it's all at the same or similar height). What you may find is that by the time the coolant gets to the last heater it will be cold so you don't get much out of it. I suppose you can get around this by piping two separate circuits to even things out, but then you will get half the flow rate in each, so could end up with both running a bit cool.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Andy at snipped-for-privacy@yourhouse.com wrote on 26/10/03 22:01:

____________________________________________________________________________ __> _

Get more blankets.

Reply to
Rory Manton

Or get a 101...

Even in the middle of winter you'll have the window open for some cool air... ;-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

____________________________________________________________________________ __> _

One and ours works just fine!

Reply to
Nikki

Wheres the best place to find all these smiths heaters?.

I havent got anything in my 2A, and was thinking that installing a heater might block some of the holes in my bulkhead! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

My cheap maplins thermometer has been relegated to hanging on the interior light in the cab of my 101. The cab of my 101 sits at about 30 - 35 C pretty much all the time while im driving it! (takes about 10 mins to warm up). Thats with both the windows open too. The temperature inside is the same whatever the weather outside! I might install a water bottle and a long straw to stop me getting dehydrated! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

What are these mysterios smiths heaters I have read about twice on this NG tonight ? You think you have draughts, you should see the holes in mine.

Reply to
Larry

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:00:21 +0000, Tom Woods made me spill my meths by writing:

Hamsters is what you want to block those holes, or an old pair of underpants. You might even find someone who can spare an old pair of underpants with a hamster still in it...

I think older MG's and Austins have those flat heaters. Surely a scrapyard will have plenty of cheap options, not too bad if they are being placed out of the way.

How about one of those old school radiators, could make a rear crossmember out of it :)

I'll get me coat

Reply to
Wayne Davies

apparently mini heaters are just the job,

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

This has reminded me to post something that's been on my mind for some time now...

Toni (who posts here now and then) once mentioned to me that he'd noticed a fair number of Land Rover parts which were excactly the same, other than in part number as cheaper Rover / Ford / BLMC parts.

Shortly after a mate of mine in Glasgow was after a master cylinder for his 101 - and eventually was sent one for something like a Hilman Imp... Same unit, different part number.

So, would anyone be interested in trying to develop a cross matching database for some of those harder to get - or simply 'Marqued up' (groan) for Land Rover spares... ?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Hi Martyn

I'd be interesting in helping, I think :o)

Martin

--

1988 90 Td5 NAS Replica
Martin Lewis

What help do you need?

I'm not bad at databases....

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

My original idea was to have some kind of simple web-board (phpbb or summat) where people could post a match when and where they find it. This could then be double checked and added to a simple flatfile text database, with searching by part number.

Thing is, although it's probably well known that this duality exists, finding the matches could be a slow process... :-(

I'm currently restarting my digital dash project though, and with a few other 'life' things going on, don't really have time to throw myself into a new project :-(

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:41:14 +0000, Mother made me spill my meths by writing:

I think someone started a broader cross reference for Land Rover parts, it's out there somewhere, they lurked in afl as well.

But it's a good idea. there are cross reference catalogues out there for the aftermarket suppliers (such as Quinton Hazell etc), wonder if they are on CD?

Land Rover have a good start with this idea anyway, weren't a lot of the first Series 1 bits from the Rover Car Co parts bin?

All the best

Reply to
Wayne Davies

You've also got the parts supercessions to think about. A LR part number may have been superceded by another, which matches a Triumph part, which is also superceded by another. This itself may match a Vauxhall part no (without anyone knowing that a direct match from LR to Vauxhall exists). So an old S1 part might still exist in the latest Vectra, but with a very long trail between the two.

What is even worse is that the supercession might work fine in one vehicle or manufacturer, but not fit in the other vehicle due to some additional lug etc.

Quite complicated...

Forget it. You'll never make it work. It can't be done.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Andy at snipped-for-privacy@yourhouse.com wrote on 26/10/03 23:30:

____________________________________________________________________________ __> _

What if you are not wearing a mini?

Reply to
Rory Manton

I've just fitted a mini heater into my SIIa, in place of the original smiths round heater. It's anchored to the lower lip of the dash, and plumbed in with a mixture of copper water pipe and rubber hose. You do lose a lot of legroom in the passenger side though, and the location of the pipes tend to foul the gearlever when in reverse. That said, it's a hell of a lot warmer than the old smiths.

Akex

Reply to
Alex

You say this, but i actually had a sock stuck in one of the holes once. I took it out when i realised that it was blocking a warm draft coming from the engine bay (2.5diesels get very warm!), not a cold one... (I'm not the only one who has used old socks as rags in the garage am i?)

Theres never anything good in scrapyards nowadays :(

Perhaps i could just move the landy rad from the behind the front panel into the passenger footwell... :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

When my SWB was running, it didn't have a heater at all. The way to get some warmth was to remove the rubber surround at the bottom of the gearlever, thus allowing warmth from the exhaust to enter.

Alex

Reply to
Alex