Hub Sensors: How do I test them?

Well, my flu might just have improved later today or tomorrow in order for me to try to find out why my TC, ABS and Hill-descent lights are on permanently.

The general consensus here was that it's most likely to be a shagged hub sensor. So, I've bought a new set of pads (might as well do them at the same time), and I'm intending to remove the calipers and attempt to get at the sensors.

However, if there aren't any obvious connection/wiring probs, how can I check each sensor in turn to see if it needs replacement?

At the moment, when I turn on the ignition, I get the ABS light appearing just before the TC and hill-descent. But I don't know if that means anything. If it is a stored fault, I won't know whether my fiddling has solved the problem, - will I?

TIA - as always.

H.

--

Apply the usual ROTten Baker's-Dozen to the following to reply by email: R-Znvy: hfrargNGpbnxyrl.pbQBGhx Fxlcr: ubjvr10

Reply to
Howie

You need testbook to do anything further. The fault needs to be reset & then see what comes back. It will be a buggered sensor, but you have no way of finding it without getting it on terstbook.

Reply to
Nige

A good DVM set to AC will give some sort of output when the wheel is spun by hand. You can then compare it with the others - on the basis that most will be ok. A good DVM may also have a frequency counter which is even more useful. A 'scope is even better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They fail open circuit too, so you could test for that I suppose.

Reply to
Nige

|Dave Plowman (News) wrote: |> In article , |> Howie wrote: |>> However, if there aren't any obvious connection/wiring probs, how |>> can I check each sensor in turn to see if it needs replacement? |>

|> A good DVM set to AC will give some sort of output when the wheel is |> spun by hand. You can then compare it with the others - on the basis |> that most will be ok. A good DVM may also have a frequency counter |> which is even more useful. A 'scope is even better. | |They fail open circuit too, so you could test for that I suppose.

Thanks for the reply guys. At least I've got 3 options to do basic tests. I suppose, in total, you could call it a 3-legged approach (sorry Nige) ;-)

I'll report back with findings, if any.

Cheers,

H.

Reply to
Howie

Start with the NSF one.

Good luck ;)

Reply to
Nige

Don't overlook the possibility that the sensor ring has become dislodged and just needs knocking back into alignment. This could well give the symptoms you describe.

Reply to
Rich B

Some what tricky on a Disco II as it is part of the wheel bearing.

Reply to
Marc Draper

I think he meant the sensor alignment bracket, that tinny bit of crap thet bends like tin foil.

Reply to
Nige