Rear Window Wiper problems

Hi. I have a 1996 300tdi Discovery auto. I had been having trouble getting the cruise control to engage, then my rear wiper stopped working. I checked the book and found that the fuse feeds the cruise control, the rear wiper and the door mirrors. I pulled the fuse and found that it was ok When I tried the door mirrors, they were working. No rear wiper and no cruise control. I put a voltmeter across the empty fusebox contacts and it read about 10volts - engine running.

Any suggestions as to where I could start trying to fix this?

Thanks Davy M.

Reply to
David Murray

First up check the vacuum pipes for the cruise control - you'll find it going to the vacuum bulb on the plenum chamber. Secondly, the rear wash wipe only works if the doors are closed. You may have a dodgy door switch (drivers side). Other things to check - CC will not cut in if brake lights have failed. Brake switch for cruise control (under brake pedal).

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

I would suspect that your rear wiper switch is crook...

In my 95 all those switches are faulty ..

'if you study the book all these switches carry no current, just signal to the MFC ( multi function control thing ) so the contacts get dirty and then stop working.

You can pull the switches apart and clean them and reassemble with something like vasaline to keep them clean...

Grab a "Rave" from one of the www sites and print the ETM ( Electrial Troubleshooting Manual ), print all 650 odd pages, worth its weight in gold....

Max

David Murray wrote:

Reply to
max

Okay guys. Thanks for the advice.

I managed to get them all working again. I think it could be the dirty switch problem taht caused my difficulties.

All the best. Davy M.

Reply to
David Murray