Antilock Brakes on 2000 Sunfire "How do I kill them?"

How can i kill the antilock brakes on my 2000 sunfire? I find them really annoying.

steve..........

Reply to
Malcolm Walls

Usually not a wise thing to do, but it's your car so here goes... Option 1. Locate ABS fuse in fuse panel. Remove. Voila!(might be in engine compartment also) Option 2. Disconnect wiring harness directly from ABS module. Cons: 1. Lose ABS braking ability. 2. Get in accident and insurance company see's disconnected ABS, they may not pay out.

Only reason you find the ABS annoying is because you are driving too fast for road conditions. Start slowing down earlier than you normaly would. I only say this not to be a jerk, but to help out other fellow drivers. Good luck with the mod, and please drive safely. Mike

Reply to
Mike

So, save up burned out fuses, and replace the ABS fuse with a burned out one. Not fair, but it's easy.

I have an 2001 E-350 and downhill the thing just doesn't stop on snow and ice. I would rather slide to a stop than to keep going with ABS. Besides that, I find ABS horrible on ice patches, where the ABS seems to reduce braking power to every wheel instead of having one wheel slip for 2 inches. On the other hand, the ABS saved me a few times too, but an upgrade is welcome!

Reply to
Baudolino

In cases like that Baudolino I dont think it would stop reguardless. Not a car on the road is built to drive or stop on ice. ABS is designed to (depending on which car or truck) stop working below a speed of about

5mph. I'm sure a lot of people out there seen that video on tv of a Backhoe sliding down a very mild grade road covered with sleet. It had its big ass tires locked and was dragging its front bucket but it still slid all over the place for a good while. I dont remember what stopped it but it was probably something solid. Personally I wouldnt give this guy any idea's on how to disable his abs. The best thing to do is to in cases like that is to slow the hell down. Ice doesnt give a damn if you have abs or not, your cars weight and speed will keep it moving on ice reguardless of what you do. Also keep in mind """"a sliding wheel will LEAD"""". If you lock up one side of your car on ice its going to go infront of the other half. Thats what abs is there to prevent. It allows you to hopefully steer and maintain control of where your going when it knows you cant stop. My thinking is this guys going to pull his fuse and still be driving to fast and he'll end up sliding right through an intersection thinking he was going to actually stop this time.
Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Don't forget Bonneville, they still produce cars with no ABS. They are called base models. I own a 2002 Neon that is a base model. Well, it has AMFM Cassette and AC, but no ABS. I did tell him in the beginning that it was not a wise idea to do it. It's his car and I should have mentioned that its other peoples lives he's playing god with. Either way, he still might get fined for excessive speeding for road conditions should he get in a accident and could'nt stop in time. On another note, sometimes I don't like the way ABS work either. You know what I do. As I am braking and the ABS kicks in, I let off the brakes and give them time to reset and I reapply them. Not as hard the second time. Just have to get a feel for them. That's all. Anyway, I'm gonna get off my soapbox now and get ready for work. have a good day. Mike

Reply to
Mike

About that excessive speeding for road conditions thing. In some states, such as WI, the speed limit is the speed limit ALL the time. Some states have it where you can go faster if the conditions are safer. I could probably find the statute that says this if anyone wants me to.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Well, I know here in NY, they can give you a ticket for doing 55 in 55 on snowy roads. In the previous post I only mentioned that he shouldn't be driving too fast for his current road condtions. Yes, I admit I do it also. At the same time, I am considering what is around me. ie. other traffic, traffic lights etc. If i'm on the intersate alone, I might do the actual speed limit. Unless I see deep ditches on the side of the highway. Then I slow down some so as not to go sliding into a ditch where I wont be seen.

Reply to
Mike

I'll admit that I do it too. Our law here really should be changed to do what is safe instead of a set speed. It sucks here tho, if we do a donut or something we can get a ticket for not having control of our vehicle :( .

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

But I bet a cell phone is still not enough distraction to get a ticket.

Reply to
Baudolino

To true... Here where I'm at it seems everytime winter comes around people forget how to drive in snow. Anyone else notice that?

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

You mean that you can tell snow is coming by the number of car spinned out already. People don't know how to drive here anyway, on good roads it's annoying, with snow it's just hilarious (besides dangerous of course). I always wonder if my mirrors are the only ones getting dirty in winter? If not, why do not more cars have their lights on wet/salted roads so they can be seen??

Reply to
Baudolino

Nope, that's one of my biggest peeves too. Everyday I have to take the highway to get to college and everyday there are a couple people that aren't in just one lane or that aren't going just one speed.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

The other day we got a little bit of snow and there was a 350Z and he was fishtailing all over. I had a Blazer and was fine. I know that people forget how to drive in snow, but for some I wonder what part the auto industry has in its shift from RWD to FWD back to RWD now.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

I've always driven RWD, even in snow and no problems at all. Once drove a Mustang, and that's a definite no because it doesn't have any weight on the rear wheels. As long as you know what you do it works perfect. You don't get stuck that easily, in case things go wrong you can just spin out and keep it on the road (or at least away from obstacles). I'm perfectly fine with it, it just takes a while to adjust.

Reply to
Baudolino