Hummer vs Schoolbus

Enjoy the demise of that wannabe piece of junk

Larry

Thats just a Cheverolet Suburban with a plastic Hummer stick on body, as are all the civilian Hummers sold by GM. If it smells like shit, looks like shit, tastes like shit, it must be a Hummer.

Reply to
Roger

On or around Tue, 05 Dec 2006 00:13:23 GMT, "Roger" enlightened us thusly:

yeah. I suspect the genyooine military Hummer would have fared slightly better. Mind you, an american schoolbus is a big, heavy vehicle even compared to a Hummer.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not really:

Natalie Drest

Heh, nothing to do with crash worthiness but funny anyway, although there are H2s in there with the original hummers. All hummers are shit though, too heavy, too wide, too long.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

American Idiot was the only possible soundtrack....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Tue, 5 Dec 2006 20:29:35 +1100, "Natalie Drest" enlightened us thusly:

The one that breaks its track rod is another H2.

The white one looks like a H1 but appears to be suffering from cockpit thrombosis. The one at the end which the bloke tips onto its side, from my reading, he intends to.

However, my comment was about the strength of the thing, the H1 is built to withstand the american military.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ah! That'll be why they are so wide - so they can go round like a headless chicken in ever-decreasing circles without falling over - presumably there is a hidden sound box that goes "Hut!" a lot?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It would seem that the average american school bus is built thus as well, cos maybe american schoolkids are even more dangerous than the military.

Reply to
Larry

they have at least as many guns....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Reply to
Natalie Drest

Which is why, of course, the US Special Forces use a Land Rover...

But you musn't tell anyone, even though they've got about 5,000 of the things...

Reply to
William Black

Don't forget they need room for the infra-red automatic targetting device - you know, the one that ensure the success of "friendly fire" incidents?

DaveP

Reply to
Dave P

On or around Tue, 5 Dec 2006 22:10:14 +1100, "Natalie Drest" enlightened us thusly:

oooh, meowww. put them claws away... :-)

Not saying it wasn't funny, but it wasn't really pertinent to my original point about the relative strength of the "proper" Humvee and the H2. Having studied an H1 close up, it's well solid and it's no wonder it weighs 4½ tons.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In that case they must be missile proof!!

Reply to
Nige

Cartainy against their own missiles! Have yet to be tested by enemy weapons yet?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The white one is a H1, which is a civvy spec one, rather than an HMMVW. It looks distinctly lower on the suspension than a HMMVW, which combined with the idiot behind the wheel is why it can't get through.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Civvy spec one has more power and a 2.5 inch body lift to accomodate the bigger engine according to the wikipedia entry.

I've seen the real ones and they are very heavy and very wide, they do have a lot of ground clearance, but the ramp-over angles are very poor as it's got a 130 wheelbase. Earlier ones didn't have any ability to lock axle differentials, later ones could do it using ABS brakes according to a chap on my pinz list who has both pinz and H1.

Hummer piss-taking breaks out on the pinz list from time to time, the sole pinz & H1 owner reckons that it's as good as the 4x4 pinz off-road, but no-one believes it for a second, the truck's too big and the wheels are too far apart. They seem to beach themselves a lot, sitting on their drivetrains, like you'd expect a Landrover 130 to do.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

But the civvy one is a Chevy van of some sort underneath and the military one has a very sophisticated drive system underneath.

They're far too wide for Middle Eastern and European back alleys anyway.

I did read somewhere that they're too wide for the standard forestry road in Europe and so get stuck a lot here when the US military come out to play...

Reply to
William Black

The hummer H2 is a Chevvy Tahoe underneath, the hummer H1 is a modified version of the proper military one. Some people liked the look and size of the H1 but didn't like its agricultural nature, so a poorly-selling luxury barge was reclothed to look a little bit like an H1 and called the H2. That's the one you're thinking of. The white truck in the video on the link posted here is an H1, the civilian version of the military truck.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings