Hummers, are they really that good?

||| Mm, but you can roll any vehicle if you try hard enough... || || Very difficult with a 2CV.

Almost impossible to roll, or to skid, come to that, even on a wet road. Light weight and low power mean you can corner with the door-handles scraping the kerb, under complete control. I miss mine really badly (and the Dyane that followed it). I bought a copy of Practical Classics the other day, and there a green one advertised in there for 600 notes. I'm so tempted.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Just give it a good shove at the top of the doors - it isn't that heavy. Or do you mean whilst driving? :)

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

The easies vehicle in the world to work on - need to change the diff? Just roll it over on it's side.....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

|| The easies vehicle in the world to work on - need to change the diff? || Just roll it over on it's side.....

I remember reading an article on chassis welding in one of the comics by Chris Perfect. He said he had done a lot of welding to the underside of his trialler, but it was made easy by the fact that he just got a big mate and put it on its side. Simple solutions are always best.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

My brother has a reputation for doing that while trialling often with me onboard!

Reply to
GbH

|| Richard Brookman wrote: ||| beamendsltd wrote: ||| ||||| The easies vehicle in the world to work on - need to change the ||||| diff? Just roll it over on it's side..... ||| ||| I remember reading an article on chassis welding in one of the ||| comics by Chris Perfect. He said he had done a lot of welding to ||| the underside of his trialler, but it was made easy by the fact ||| that he just got a big mate and put it on its side. Simple ||| solutions are always best. || || My brother has a reputation for doing that while trialling often || with me onboard!

What, while doing the welding? Reeeeee - spect.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Nope I can't buy that despite the fact in normal use you would be blowing chunks long before the tin snail rolled, all you need is a little help from Hamster and friends

Derek

Reply to
Derek

|| "Richard Brookman" wrote || in message news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net... ||| Fred Labrosse wrote: ||| |||||| Mm, but you can roll any vehicle if you try hard enough... ||||| ||||| Very difficult with a 2CV. ||| ||| Almost impossible to roll, or to skid, come to that, even on a wet ||| road. Light weight and low power mean you can corner with the ||| door-handles scraping the kerb, under complete control. I miss ||| mine really badly (and the Dyane that followed it). I bought a ||| copy of Practical Classics the other day, and there a green one ||| advertised in there for 600 notes. I'm so tempted. ||| ||| -- ||| Rich ||| ============================== ||| || Nope I can't buy that despite the fact in normal use you would be || blowing chunks long before the tin snail rolled, all you need is a || little help from Hamster and friends || ||

Nah, that was just a gentle unplanned deviation for the intended route. And it landed back on its wheels too.

That clip made me really unhappy!

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sun, 1 Oct 2006 19:44:50 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

whereas this one is rather droll...

Austin Shackles

|| On or around Sun, 1 Oct 2006 19:44:50 +0100, "Richard Brookman" || enlightened us thusly: || ||| ||| Nah, that was just a gentle unplanned deviation for the intended ||| route. And it landed back on its wheels too. ||| ||| That clip made me really unhappy! || || whereas this one is rather droll... || ||

|| -- || Austin Shackles.
my opinions are just that || "Quos deus vult perdere, prius dementat" Euripedes, quoted in || Boswell's "Johnson".

Seen that on a few ranges - excellent sport.

Here's one very similar to what happened to me -

- the only sort-of serious accident I have had. In a real-world accident they are fairly crash-proof.

I said fairly. I walked away from mine, although my passenger had a fair bit of whiplash. The floor-pan was bent in a V and touching the ground afterwards.

New floor-pan and a few bits and bobs for the front, and she was like new. The car, not the passenger.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Mon, 2 Oct 2006 22:16:06 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

related links beside that has a crash-test of a Ford F150. folds up most impressively for a big 'merrican lump of iron.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 23:14:46 +0100, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

whoa, would not want to have smash in one of them.....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Wed, 04 Oct 2006 17:50:43 +0100, Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

dunno how fast the crash test was, mind. but they're not silly-fast. Mind you, it's all about crumple zones and dissipating energy, innit. problem is it leaves you needing a new truck.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| On or around Wed, 04 Oct 2006 17:50:43 +0100, Simon Isaacs || enlightened us thusly: || ||| On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 23:14:46 +0100, Austin Shackles ||| scribbled the following nonsense: ||| |||| On or around Mon, 2 Oct 2006 22:16:06 +0100, "Richard Brookman" |||| enlightened us thusly: |||| ||||| Here's one very similar to what happened to me - ||||| |||||

Dunno - if you kind of ignore the bodywork and watch the dummy driver, there's nowhere for his legs or torso to be after the crash, and his head's somewhere behind the front wheel after it's been pushed back. I'd reckon on

100% mortality for that one.
Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Wed, 4 Oct 2006 19:06:30 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, doesn't look too impressive, I admit.

'ere, this is a good 'un:

Smart vs. Merc S600 - 's not the foregone conclusion you'd expect.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| On or around Wed, 4 Oct 2006 19:06:30 +0100, "Richard Brookman" || enlightened us thusly: || ||| Austin Shackles wrote: ||| ||||| dunno how fast the crash test was, mind. but they're not ||||| silly-fast. Mind you, it's all about crumple zones and ||||| dissipating energy, innit. problem is it leaves you needing a ||||| new truck. ||| ||| Dunno - if you kind of ignore the bodywork and watch the dummy ||| driver, there's nowhere for his legs or torso to be after the ||| crash, and his head's somewhere behind the front wheel after it's ||| been pushed back. I'd reckon on 100% mortality for that one. || || yeah, doesn't look too impressive, I admit. || || 'ere, this is a good 'un: || ||

Shows how cars of different masses behave - the Merc barely moves, whereas the Smart bounces around like a child's toy. The extent of damage was roughly equivalent, but I know which I would rather have been in.

And I guess we've all seen this one:

As VBH says, the Smart can survive a horrendous crash, but it's likely the passengers would not.

Ain't no substitute for decent mass, a proper chassis (and good seat belts).

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Thu, 5 Oct 2006 20:06:28 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

I was surprised how mangled the merc was. Looks like the door took quite a lot of force to open. The crash test dummies seems to get green paint or something which I assume is "flesh wounds" or somesuch. Apart from being thrown about, the pair in the Smart seemed to come off quite well.

I hadn't, in fact. much mayhem - I honestly wouldn't expect to survive 70 mph into a concrete barrier in any vehicle... like they say - the passenger cell is more or less intact, but decelerating from 70 to 0 in about a second is more than the human body is designed to do.

decent mass and a proper chassis in that scenario would just add to the collision energy and probably make the deceleration even more severe.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

||| Ain't no substitute for decent mass, a proper chassis (and good ||| seat belts). || || decent mass and a proper chassis in that scenario would just add to || the collision energy and probably make the deceleration even more || severe.

Or just bash the concrete out of the way?

"I'm a-comin' thruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Reply to
kickbo