i give up

5 hours to get the drain plug undone

then i found that the prat before me had x threaded number 3 plug - i found this out at 4:37, when the only place in the area that sold helicoil kits closed at 5 (and they waited for me - phew!)

so, the camshaft replacement is going to be entrusted to a garage now, i've spent three days and done what should take about an hour - fecking morons that dont know what they're doing mutter grumble mutter grumble

Si

Reply to
SiK

It builds soul matey, keep going.........

It's part of LR ownership ;~)

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

I often wondered how they did this without pulling the head. Apparently you get the piston almost to the top of it's stroke, fill with grease... drill thread tap new , insert Helicoil, snap tang, recover from grease, turn engine such that swarf ejects with grease through plug hole, clear out the remaining grease, voila.

I was impressed anyway.

Let Si's post be a lesson to any one who thinks that any old socket will do to remove/insert the plugs. Most are too fat and cause these Issues. Bet there aren't many V8's without Helicoils in.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I was impressed at the kit I got - the tap has a guide to go through the buggered up thread, and then cuts the helicoil guide behind. Thern the Helicoil has a clever guide thing to stop it from x threading.

so - if you worked on a 1994 niagra grey disco in the kent area - I HATE YOU - you are ruining my enjoyment

Si

Reply to
SiK