I know that rav4 is not a real 4x4 n terms of what real 4x4's (ie offroad land rovers) are, but we all have to start some place, right?

|| || My Mum doesn't know the meaning of the word. She is an emotional || vampire at times, and it is about time she pulled herself together || and stopped feeling sorry for herself. ||

Martyn's right - it's a funny time of year for families. My Mum became pretty hard work in some ways in the last few years of her life - awkward, didn't seem to care much about me or my kids, turned very much in on herself. She lived 350 miles away and I didn't see her as much as I should have done. I think we react to our parents as if we were still teenagers sometimes, no matter how old we get. I thought the problem was all with her, going funny and getting old and awkward. Now I think she was just lonely and frightened (although she would have been appalled at the suggestion) and I wish I had done more. When they're gone, they're gone and there's damn-all you can do to put things right.

Hope you feel better soon, Nikki.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

You're right...

I'm of the opinion that there are few real issues in families that can actually be resolved - the parties either bury it and work round it or just never see each other.

I never argue with my Dad, mostly because he lives in Australia and it is just too expensive :-). When I go visit we have to get on because we are living together and there ain't much choice. That said, we DO get on very well, because we are so damned identical in so many ways.

My Mum is already falling into the pattern of previous generations. She always moaned that my grandparents never visited us and she had to take us there. Now she is the grandparent and unless asked doesn't 'drop in', which is a shame as she lives 10 minutes drive away. Families take much more work than friends do, 'cos you can't swap 'em.

OTOH, when they are dead and gone those arguments and frustrations seem oh so very trivial indeed.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

|| || OTOH, when they are dead and gone those arguments and frustrations || seem oh so very trivial indeed. ||

Seconded.

Reply to
Richard Brookman