Importing LR problems

Hi,

Leaving aside the issues around "is it right" we're in the process of importing a 110 Double Cab Defender from Holland, via an existing independent dealer who just deals with LR products.

All fine and dandy, except LR don't seem to want to deliver our car, are giving the dealer problems and generally making us wait bl**ding ages for it. (It could be the dealer admittedly, but we think not, yet........)

Has/is anyone else having similar problems? Does the group know anyone at LR who we can annoy about this. We want our new car (but don't want to use our local dealer, but that's another story), we are big Land Rover supporters, we'd just like to exercise our rights under EU law (it has to be useful for something) and get the car from outside the UK to UK spec.

Any thoughts appreciated...............

Sarah Hill

-- Rocket Launchers Ltd Make your event go with a bang!

The Hills

But if Land Rover have a policy / practice of being awkward towards dealers supplying imports that is a breach of EU law. VW were fined a huge sum for doing similar.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Indeed, however the contract is with the dealer, who in turn will have an agreement (I guess) with LR.

I really don't think I'd get a very good response if I called BDs office to ask if there is any such policy! :-)

Reply to
Mother

Perhaphs best to text him then...less confrontaional... ;-)

I'll ask later when he pops around to pick up the postit note sketches for the new 101 Winnebago due to hit the production lines soon :-) However only sales in the uk due to the P&P.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

"The Hills" wrote in news:3f0aa8a1$0$163$ snipped-for-privacy@master.news.zetnet.net:

It might be worth your while telephoning The Office of Fair Trading in case they are getting similar complaints from others. In my experience, they are very nice people and definitely on our side!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Only if the dealer, or person with which you have the contract is based within the UK.

The OFT Won't cover anything else.

Reply to
Mother

"Lee_D"

I imported a 110 H/T in April. Everything OK (the German dealer had the 110 in stock) but L/R did drag their feet when the 110 came into the UK and the Certificate of Conformity which L/R has to produce took quite a few days to surface.

Reply to
PJS

On or around Tue, 8 Jul 2003 23:35:50 +0100, "PJS" enlightened us thusly:

Heard anecdotal evidence of other people having similar problems with similar certificates.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There has been lots of this kind of discussion over the years over pn uk.rec.cars.imports

As someone else has said VW were found guilty of having policies of trying to stop people buying cars from parts of Europe other than the state they live in and it cost them dearly (but still not as much as they make ripping people off....)

Someone in uk.r.c.imports went into this in some detail and posted the name of the Euro minister responsible for the VW investigation and, IIRC, a quick note to the manufacturer, copied to the Euro minister guy and the dealer, soon had the blockage sorted.

Maybe worth trawling Google groups to see if you can find it

Try and get the dealer to commit to writing what the problem is. He'll probably only see the problem as far as the Dutch LR importer. They'll maybe have the problem with LR in the UK.

Best of luck and keep us up to date.

C P.S. If I get chance I'll try and find the stuff I mentioned above

Reply to
cnews

I know it's bad for to reply to your own posting but I found the thread I mentioned

Either search in Google groups for Audi Denmark restrictive trade practices or go here

Can't find any follow up though so don't know how he got on but at least the Euro minister acted swiftly enough even if Audi didn't.....

Best of luck X=C

Reply to
cnews

Thanks for all the useful advice and posts. Husbad has gone off today with Landrover's phone number, details of the EU commissioners, a copy of LRO with the interview with the Landrover CEO, and a mission to try and find out what's happening at the Dutch end and "kick *ss" as the Americans would say. We need to clarify that our Dutch dealer doesn't have problems with Landrover over, say, credit, so we can try to pinpoint the difficulty.

Watch this space.

Sarah

Reply to
The Hills