In boot power point

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to retro fit a cigarette lighter in the boot of a 97R disco Tdi?

Is there a kit? If so does anyone know the part no? and cost?

Is there anything I need to look out for when fitting said item, if it is possible?

Reply to
Simon Jeffs

You do not want a cigarette lighter there; the plug gets pulled out or falls out. Fit a standart low voltage plug obtained at an electronics shop that has a screw fitting for the socket. The matching socket (of course) is then attached to the appliance. I've installed one like it. To my knowledge not LR kit is available. Frank

Reply to
thesnowbaron

Thanks for that, where is the best place to run the cables from? / to?

Do you have any photos of your installation?

Reply to
Simon Jeffs

Hi Simon,

Depends what you want to run from it, and whether you want the power controlled from the ignition switch. If you want a heavy load (> 5A for a fridge etc), run a fairly heavy two core cable direct from the battery terminals (with a fuse). I have a twin battery system, and I have problems with the earth in the rear, so I will soon be switching to using 2.5mm two core cable. As it is a second battery mainly for running the fridge, they come direct from the battery.

If you have a low load and want it switched with the ignition, I'd link into the supply to the normal lighter - you can get at this by removing the centre console (see Haynes manual).

As for routing the cables, you can probably run them under the vehicle, strapped to the top of the chassis legs. Then come up through where the existing cables for the rear lights come in - there is a grommet just above the silencer on the back left of the car. I mounted my sockets just below the speakers in the corners of the car - the panel just unclips.

I would seriously recommend DIN sockets (sometimes called Hella sockets). They don't fall out like cigar sockets. Have a look on

or

Good luck! Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter