Information kept on DOT / MOT computer

Here's a question for you................. I aquired another Land Rover today, series 3, mostly very tidy. I looked at buying it a few months back as it has a barely used Warn 9000 on it,as I reckoned I could whip the winch off for the RR and sell the series 3 on. However, at the time he was asking too much for it and I didn't bother. To cut a long story short he called to see me in work today, he had brought the LR in for an MOT with his local VW dealer (next door) and the DOT bigwigs were visiting and made an example of the poor truck! Poor bugger only uses it a few times a year to tow his boat to and from the boatyard, it doesn't even go in the water! So, he has a long list of bits and bobs, some easy to fix, some a real pain, the question is, when I take it back for an MOT, will the computer system have kept a record of all the points that it failed on ? I think that if it went back to a slightly more sypathetic MOT station, it would have passed without worry! Watcha think?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Once a test has been recorded on the MOT Computer system, the results will stay there forever.

However, when presenting the vehicle for testing at a different test station, they will not know what faults have been recorded previously. They can only test the vehicle that is there in front of them.

Problems will result if anyone has need to call up the MOT test record & finds that faults recorded at the first MOT are still present on the vehicle, even though a pass has been issued by a second test station.

NT

With the new computerised MOT's you can apparently even look up the details of the fail yourself on the MOT website. There are destructions on the bit of paper. However it didnt work with the last MOT i had done, but it could be because i tried it only a fw minutes after the test finished. Cant find it now to try it again!

Reply to
Tom

Mmmmmm, that's interesting. I had another look at the vehicle this morning on the way into work after looking at the MOT fail sheet again and it seems that it's failed on really odd things. There's a couple of "excessive corrosion" points which actually seem to be bubbled up paint and surface rust. A quick scrape down and a coat of paint and it should be good as new. We'll see. Anyone want a good condition series 3, needs work for MOT?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Ahh, so that's it, you work up our sympathy for your MOT failure, let us all molly-coddle you and assure you its not terminal and when you have us all thinking it just needs an afternoon's work to tidy up you spring the surprise that's it's up for grabs...no doubt at a vastly overpriced sum for an MOT failure.... :-) Personally i would take it back for a re-test to a different station, not giving the first station another £40. There has been a few stations round here that have had stern warnings due to the number of complaints about trivial failures. The thinking of the public is that they are doing it just for another £40 because they are always booked up for MOT's thus you cannot return within the specified time for a free test!. The DVLA has a part on their site about reducing the re-test fee, possibly in September due to "consultation" with the public (read too many complaints).

anyway....How much?

Cheers Wolfie

Reply to
lifeis

Well I always go in for an MOT expecting there is work needing to be done, there always is.

Reply to
Larry

snipped-for-privacy@howl.com wrote: The DVLA has a part on

Somehow an MOT station here is still doing free retests, on minor failures at least.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Vehicles, AIUI, aren't allowed to leave the premises, so if the MOT station fixes it, or you leave it with them to be fixed within a few days it's not fully re-tested, but only tested on the failed parts.

AIUI there is also the opportunity that if you can do the work yourself on-site, providing the station allow it, then again they can test the previously failed components without undergoing a full re-test.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

minor faults and returned within 24-48 hrs are usually free in most stations but some of the ones round here are fully booked, making it impossible to fit in a re-test thus incurring a full retest fee. This is what is causing the backlash with the public

Wolfie

Reply to
lifeis

On or around 17 Aug 2006 15:04:49 -0700, "Dave R" enlightened us thusly:

that's a bugger. they show up without warning, too, although I suspect there's a grapevine between garages that says "they're in the area".

no way they'd have passed mine, then...

actually, not much wrong with it - but enough that I'd have had to take it away, fix it and being it back.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 17 Aug 2006 16:33:26 -0700, "Tom" enlightened us thusly:

it takes a while to propagate, I think.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Gawd knows, i think in reality I will have to whip the winch and get rid of it sharpish before the other half finds out. Landy count is back up to six now so will have to get rid! Mind you, it might blend in amongst all the others.

I don't know how much series threes are going for these days, i'd like to get it taxed and MOTed before I sell it though. If I could generate enough extra cash to put the Warn 9000 off it with it then i'd be chuffed, effectively i'd have a free winch and winch bumper, a 9000lb warn should be enough for the the RR Tdi do you think??

Dave

P=2ES. I've just remembered that the local garage is in cahoots with an MOT station and does pe-MOT checks very cheap, I feel a plan coming on...........

Reply to
Dave R