Intermittant electrical fault on Def110 A reg V8

3.9 EFI V8 . -non starter- Alot of work gone into restoring this motor. Had the "Hall Sensor", on the distributor replaced at considerable expense. Started and ran it to work that night. Next morning it wouldnt start. Very tired so went to bed...came back later that day..Put jump leads on it from my runabout and still wouldnt start...tinkered with HT lead from dizzy to coil. No spark but plugged it back in and it fired up!! drove home with occasional drops/ judders but not mechanical ones it seemed like a loose connection. No misfiring. HT leads are in good nick. Im worried cos i gotta tow a horse tomorrow. Help??

Steve

Reply to
steve

Coil?

Reply to
Nige

Reply to
steve

It does sound like a duff one & they are cheap as shit, so nowt lost.

Dont top post man, it makes it hard to understand.

Reply to
Nige

ok thx soz about top post thing. thing bout coils is if they go they go...i didnt know they could be intermittantly faulty...well you learn sommat new everyday.

steve

Reply to
steve

Dont blame me if it's not the coil, but i reckon it will be.

Reply to
Nige

I had a 1983 RRC V8 that had a trick LT wire from the distributor to the coil. Wiggle had it sorted.

Usually did it on hard cornering which was how I sussed it out as wiring.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

well I took out the coil...replaced it with a new one...replaced all the connections with new ones(nice n tight) and bingo all in order. just finished a 300 mile weekender and not a blip..thx guys.

steve

Reply to
steve

Yay, Nige in right answer shocker!

Reply to
Nige

Just answer "coil problem mate" to every question, by the rule of stopped clocks you'll be right more often than most ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Naw the duff connection has been disturbed/cleaned/replaced. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice