MOT Query

A question for the MOT testers that lurk amongst us :-)

Whilst the question was raised with my Peugeot, it's equally applicable to Landies!

Yesterday my Pug estate failed its MOT on tyres and a bit of welding. No query with that at all (OK, maybe on the exact tyre depth, but with winter upon us, better safe than sorry, so no harm in replacing them!)

Now, it was about 7 days before the old MOT expired. In the new "computerised" system, I assume that the failure is recorded and that the car is now without an MOT. Or is the old one still valid until expiry?

In other words, could I have continued driving the car (for the next 7 days) on the old MOT and if I was stopped by the local plod, would DVLA show me up as MOT'd or not?

[It's academic for the Pug as the tyres were replaced last night and I did the welding as well (it was just a small patch) and it passed this morning).

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

So far as I know, you're covered in GB because you have a unexpired certificate, you would be here (NI) too but not for expecting your renewal certificate to run consecutively from your old one, because here for that GB certificates are not valid. I don't understand it either but that's what tester man told me when I complained.

Reply to
JacobH

As I understand it, you are still valid unless it has had a "dangerous" notification on the fail sheet, but that is just my understanding, I may be wrong...... Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Fri, 5 Dec 2008 07:20:48 -0800 (PST), puffernutter enlightened us thusly:

The old one is still valid. For the same reason that you can get a new one prior to the expiry date and it's valid from the expiry date, not the date-of-test.

The old system was the same: failed test doesn't expire the old cert, just means that you put it in for a test which it failed. You can put it in for test at any time you choose, but if you do so when the previous test is only

6 months ago, then it's your loss.

Tyres: 1.6mm on the centre 3/4 of the tread, so if it's e.g. 200mmm wide, that's 75mm either side of the centre line, all the way around the tyre. Technically, if they find one bit with not enough tread, it's a fail, although more decent bods would do it as "advise".

Remaining tread area must have visible tread. So if it's edged (due to a tracking fault or suchlike) to the extent that there's no tread left on part of it, it's illegal even if the rest of the tyre has loads of tread.

Mind, in those circs, I'd be inclined to cut some shallow grooves in it and stick it on the back, preferably with the worn edge innermost.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 5 Dec 2008 16:12:25 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

There is the good and valid point that while your existing MOT is valid, so you can't be done for no MOT, Plod can and will do you for e.g. an illegal tyre as a separate offence.

Just because the MOT is valid, doesn't mean that various things including all the C&U stuff and RVLR which have associated offences don't land you in it, same as they always do.

I don't think the "dangerous" on the fail sheet has legal force except that you'd have a hard time proving in court that you didn't know about it, in the event of an accident or being booked. I've not checked recently, but it certainly used to say "in the tester's opinion, the following faults render the vehicle dangerous to use on the road".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Wouldn't that make it technically a re-tread ore re-cut or whatever and therefore illegal?

Reply to
hugh

In message , hugh writes

And, since you'd be even more likely to lose the back end under severe braking conditions, why take the pointless risk?

Reply to
AJG

Recuts were only legal on commercials over a certain weight and wheel size or limited to less than 15mph but I don't know what the present limitations are, certainly not for a car if used on the public highway. Not sure about retreads, they could be legal subject to meeting specs.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Sat, 6 Dec 2008 14:36:06 +0000, hugh enlightened us thusly:

Possibly, if anyone found out that's what it was.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 6 Dec 2008 16:54:18 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

most of the big commercial tyres are designed to be regrooved.

Note: I was talking about the case where a tyre has been edged due to a faultin the suspension, I've seen tyres with 75% tread over all but about an inch and a half one side, and the last bit of about an inch with no tread left. That makes it techincally illegal as the full tread is not on the centreline of the tyre, even if there's legal depth tread over 75% of the tyre width. On a non-steering axle, that's not going to be a major issue.

Anyone who knows my vehicles will tell you that I don't run tyres with no tread, they normally get replaced at about 2mm.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

So were/are Firestone SATs but it's still not legal to fit recut SATs on a Landrover used on the highway because AFAR the unladen weight of the CV has/had to be 3 tons or 2.5 tons if the wheel size was/is 16" or above and with a tyre of at least 8 ply rating. BICBWN

Note:- I was replying to Hugh's post, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I wasn't aware that the 75% had to be in the centre.

Now I should hope you do Austin :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Sun, 7 Dec 2008 12:54:01 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

does for cars. I forget when that happened, several years ago. I think before that it was just 75%, but then again, it was also 1mm, now it's

1.6mm. Except commercials are still 1mm... go figure.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

I think the 1.6mm has just brought the UK into line with the majority of the world.

Reply to
EMB

1.6mm is 1/16" which what the UK limit was when it was first introduced!
Reply to
JacobH

On or around Mon, 08 Dec 2008 20:55:32 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

yeah, but how come commercials are 1mm?

Reply to
Austin Shackles